Message Boards

Topic: CTF: Charge Sequence (Beta 2)  (Read 8173 times)

Offline NerdKoopa

• Stacking voxels
    • View Profile
CTF: Charge Sequence (Beta 2)
« on: July 06, 2013, 06:55:38 »
Charge Sequence is my very first attempt at making a CTF map for Odamex. I finally have it in a playable state, but I need plenty of testers to iron out all the problems. This one has plenty of bridges, so be sure to set co_realactorheight to 1! I have no idea if this thing works in ZDaemon or Zandronum. I have only tested it in Odamex.

Here's a list of all the things I want testers to pay attention to and comment on, in order of importance:
1. The spawn area and player spawn locations
2. Item and weapon placement
3. The layout
4. The general visual style and the quality of the custom textures (excluding the recolored stock textures)

Any advice, suggestions and constructive critisism are more than welcome.

Link to Beta 2 here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/cu329qodj3d02iu/charge_sequence_beta2.zip

And now, screenshots.

Map center, looking at red side from blue side.

Red flag area.

View from red side, looking towards map center.

Red corridor details.

The walkway, red side.

In Doom Builder 2
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 13:19:38 by NerdKoopa »

Offline Pseudoscientist

• Peanut gallery
    • View Profile
Re: [TESTERS NEEDED] Charge Sequence CTF (Beta 1)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 08:56:57 »
There's also another problem: As far as I know, Odamex does not support cumulative loading of textures, so the stock textures need to be included with the custom ones for the WAD to work properly. The rules of /idgames Archive state that you are not allowed to include the stock textures with your WAD, so I have no idea where to upload this thing once it's completed.
Odamex (like vanilla) needs only texture definitions (TEXTURE1 and PNAMES), not the textures themselves. Including the definitions in the wad is allowed.
Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!

Offline NerdKoopa

• Stacking voxels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 10:29:33 »
So, when I created the new lumps from a base resource archive in SLADE 3, the actual Doom textures are not included, just definitions? Damn I feel stupid...
EDIT: Modified first post to remove the confusion.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:35:08 by NerdKoopa »

Offline capodecima

• Brodamex Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:17:55 »
Hi NerdKoopa welcome to odamex!
I can give you some my suggestions.
1) make some other resps outside and reduce number actual respawns and reduce number of shotgun, i could add one good respawn on stairs in base
2) add more ssgs ( try put them close to resp), ssg is primary weapon in ctf this actual place for ssg is bad
3) reduce number of medikits (1-2 in every base is enough, replace medkits on middle of map stimpack)

Well this are just some quick views and recomends how can map works a bit better. Good luck !

Offline Pseudoscientist

• Peanut gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 07:36:52 »
I'd say that GLASS1 texture is too garish, and should be darkened a bit. Can't comment on how the map plays, because I don't play MP at the time, so feel free to ignore this comment ;)
Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!

Offline NerdKoopa

• Stacking voxels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 07:59:59 »
Ok, so... Less health, spread the spawns, replace some of the spawn shotguns with super shotguns?

Offline NerdKoopa

• Stacking voxels
    • View Profile
Re: CTF: Charge Sequence (Beta 1)
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 05:57:35 »
I really could use some more observations. I'm reluctant to make chages based on the opinions of only one or two people. Not to dismiss people who posted earlier, but I need to know more to get the bigger picture here. Should I host my own test server? I do know the basics of using odasrv, but I have no idea what port to open for players to be able to join.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 05:58:55 by NerdKoopa »

Offline Hekksy

• Doomin' since '96
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 06:51:01 »
Hello NerdKoopa,

I do not have any advice at this time, but I wanted to let you know that I have added your wad to one of my CTF servers so you can join the server and vote to it so that you can get some play time with it online.

The server is [CoffeeNet.org] MWI1: IDL2013 CTF @ 66.170.3.5:10741. Simply join the server via Odalaunch or with the "connect" command, join the game, and do "callvote map charge" in order to switch to the wad. Note that I thought the filename was pretty long so I renamed it to "chargectf1a.wad" in order to get it smaller.

Hopefully you can get a game or two going so you can test how the map feels. I bet if you asked in #odamex on Quakenet you could get a few people into the server. Keep up the great work, we love to have more CTF maps!
Join the Odamex Steam group! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/odamex
Check out the Odamex Discord as well: https://discord.gg/vHUu236

Offline NerdKoopa

• Stacking voxels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:24:27 »
Thanks! I really appreciate it!

Offline NerdKoopa

• Stacking voxels
    • View Profile
Re: CTF: Charge Sequence (Beta 2)
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 13:20:10 »
Beta 2 is here! Big thanks to nub_hat for helping with the item and spawn placement. The flag should now be much easier to defend.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 13:30:09 by NerdKoopa »