Message Boards

Topic: connecting to a new, private server  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Livingmusic

• View Profile
connecting to a new, private server
« on: June 01, 2014, 14:31:45 »
I've been working on setting up a server for a friend and I to play on, and have succeeded in connecting to it from my computer. It shows up on the server list on the website, but when they try to find it on odalaunch, it does not show up. Another thing I've noticed is that in my odalaunch window, the IP address starts with 192.168, while the IP address shown for me on the website (and on their computer on the website) begins with 216.26. Additionally, when we ping the server IP from their computer, it connects, but if we specify the port, it cannot find the address. I don't know very much about this sort of thing (this is the first time I've set up a server), so I was hoping someone here might know what's going on. We have not yet tried connecting to separate networks, but we would also like to avoid doing that if possible.

Update: I tried using my old laptop to see if I could connect from a different computer, and I can see the server on my old laptop, but then get an error when connecting (I also get this error when trying to run odasrv) "unable to locate component. application failed to start because MSVCP100.dll was not found." I downloaded the file, and no longer get that error when connecting through odalaunch, but still get it when running odasrv (which isn't a problem for me right now) but now I get a different error: "odalaunch error Execution of command 'c:\users\me\appdata\local\programs\odamex\odames-connect 216.26.1126.188:10666 welcome-waddir
"c:\users\me\appdata\local\programs\odamex" failed (error 0: the operation completed successfully.)" and then it does not load the server.
This error also occurs when running odamex.exe without connecting to a server, or when connecting to any other server.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:48:52 by Livingmusic »

Offline Livingmusic

• View Profile
Re: connecting to a new, private server
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 23:06:43 »
I have succeeded in getting the computer to connect, it seems that it was the specific router that we were using. When we tried connecting through a different router, it worked. My old laptop, however, is still having issues, so if someone knows what that error is for, please let me know.