Message Boards

Topic: Community Questionnaire  (Read 10404 times)

Offline Hekksy

• Doomin' since '96
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Community Questionnaire
« on: August 20, 2014, 21:14:49 »
What is your username and what does it mean?

What was the first doom you ever played? (Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Doom64, Doom3)

What was the first (unofficial) source port you ever played and when?

What was the first (unofficial) pwad you ever played and when?

What is your favorite game mode?

If you are in a clan, what clan and why are you in it?

What is your fondest memory of multiplayer Doom?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 21:38:10 by HeX9109 »
Join the Odamex Steam group! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/odamex
Check out the Odamex Discord as well: https://discord.gg/vHUu236

Offline Hekksy

• Doomin' since '96
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Community Questionnaire
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 21:34:27 »
HeX9109 - I used to go by HeX_Vulture and when I created an Xbox live account it required numbers in my username, so I added 9109 (my birth year and high school graduation year). I eventually started to use HeX9109 for everything.

What was the first doom you ever played? (Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Doom64, Doom3)
Doom 2 back in 1996ish. I used to play it with my dad and brother. We had sound blaster playing music but we never could get sound effects to work, so we beat the entire game in I'm Too Young To Die with no sound.

ZDoom back in 2003

Eternal Doom III, and I played it in vanilla Doom because I had not discovered ZDoom

In Odamex, CTF. But if we're going way back I loved the game mode "Skulltag" in the old Skulltag source port.

UniDoom, because I enjoy playing with the people in the clan and respect them all a lot.

There used to be a lot of cool people I would play with every night back in 2006 and 2007. Some of them are still around but we've grown apart. Others have disappeared entirely. Helping launch the Skulltag priv scene and getting 32 people in a single server (my server btw!!!) for the first time were probably the most fun moments for my dooming history.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 21:38:21 by HeX9109 »
Join the Odamex Steam group! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/odamex
Check out the Odamex Discord as well: https://discord.gg/vHUu236

Offline Dr. Sean

• Developer
  • G'd up from tha feet up
    • View Profile
    • Odamex - Helping middle-aged men relive their teen years
Re: idk im bored
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 21:43:24 »
Dr. Sean
I'm known among a group of friends for making problems go away and they started calling me 'doctor'. When we started playing Doom together, the name stuck.

Shareware Doom v1.1, waaaaay back in early 1994.

A group of friends and I were talking about old games from childhood/teen years while at work and Doom came up in the discussion. Some bragging ensued and egos had to be put to into check with some DM so I set everyone's computer up with Chocolate Doom and we ran around killing each other. But given that this was an office and real work had to be done on occasion, a client/server port was necessary so that players could join or leave at any time. The next day, I set up Odamex 0.5.0 for everyone and haven't looked back. I joined the Doom community in April of 2011.

I don't really remember but the first that stood out was danzig1.wad. I used to watch 4 player LMPs of danzig1/2 for hours because I could only play 1v1 via modem.

CTF

I'm an officially unoffical member of UD because of my contributions to Doom and UD-related projects and I'm probably a half-way decent player at times.

Playing with my buddies at work for 4 hours a day for two years!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 21:46:32 by Dr. Sean »
Odamex Development Team Member

Offline Watermelon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 21:44:40 »
It's a hilarious food trolled by many people online, but I also like molecules so either work.

Doom shareware in 1994 somewhere

ZDaemon 2006

D! Zone CD, I don't know how I came across back in 1995 or 1996, I forget... it but it had a bunch of custom levels. One of them didn't have an exit so I was sad. Overall their quality was bad, but because I couldn't map -- it looked godlike.

Depends on my mood, CTF is one I can default to and always have fun with.

LF because a lot of my favorite people are in it.

When I first discovered GVH. That literally consumed my entire summer and I'd even play it at university. How I did well that semester is beyond me.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 21:45:49 by Watermelon »

Offline Russell

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 21:53:15 »
My real name...

My other username, RTC_Marine reflected a time when I was with the TRTCC crew, Maonth suggested this nickname and I accepted it

Doom shareware 0.99 iirc, the neighbor in the house next to us had a computer and we were around the same age, he introduced me to Doom, was good times :)

The first port I would have played was Doom 95, the first unofficial one was zdoom 1.22, I remember going crazy over the look up/down and jumping features

Galaxia.wad was one of them, Crossing Acheron rings a bell too.

Nightmare cooperative deathmatch, yes you heard that right :P nightmare respawning fast enemies + dming players. Just for the shear insanity of it

I used to be in clan Unidoom, but the "used to" phrase is probably irrelevant in Ralphis eyes, since I bet according to him "There is no such thing as leaving UD"

Wasting Blizzardson with rockets on Ralphis Magical Ice Forts and some UD clan matches
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 21:54:56 by Russell »

Offline Fatelord

• Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 15:54:53 »
FateLord - I used to go by Nemesis which is a Greek god but then I got into more greek mythology, and I realized that there is no god of Fate. In which I was too lazy to come up with a name for so I just said FateLord.

Probably Doom Shareware in 2003ish.

I think it was Boom in 2009.

I had this CD called 7000 Maps of Deathmatch for vanilla doom in 2003 when I started doom. I don't remember which it was but it was likely called WTRFRONT.WAD

CTF by far.

Not in any Odamex clan but I'm in SysX in Quake 3 and [MC] in Zandronum

Scrimming with [VGL] in Zandronum and improving so vastly in my first 2 weeks of serious competitive DooM.
Overkill On Top

Offline capodecima

• Brodamex Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 04:27:26 »
My former name is Jarin_cz (which is my first name), i started use later in 2009 capodecima, mainly for my love to mafian movies and stuff. :)

It was doom2.exe in 98.

ZDaemon in 2003.

Hmm i first played some MP pwad in 2003 on old gamezone.cz. Could be some dwango wad maybe. Dont remember.

DUEL/CTF, CTF is probably more fun for me nowadays.

I am in FW, and i lead the clan (along with my boy nub_hat), what else i could say? :-D

[L@p] entryway 2005-2010, never to be forgotten. :-D

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:45:53 by capodecima »

Ant P.

• Nobody
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 19:27:43 »
It's a name. And an abbreviation that fits in the name field of old games.
It's also technically a password since it has mixed-case and punctuation, but I'm not that dumb.

I vaguely remember playing 64 back when it was new. I had the GBA Doom port for a while too. Didn't actually have a PC at home until much later (and still don't have one that can run D3 properly).

ZDaemon, mid 2004 or so.

Brit11, mid 2004 or so.

CTF because nobody can tell me apart from the other people who know how to aim when we're all the same colour

This one time I made a joke clan based entirely around the fact ZD's crappy code allowed green/yellow team spawnpoints in every game mode even when they made no sense. Oda killed it :(

Finding ways to break ctf maps and screw with people until it mutated into some sort of competitive sport with entire pwads built around things like rjumping and gliding. Getting 4-5 people standing in a totem pole at the top of a wall 10 screens tall just 'cuz we could.

Offline rude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 22:33:07 »
Rude- I always liked Rude from the Turks  :D

First played Doom at my Dads office in like 1996, it was installed on all the PCs there lol.

Zdaemon 2004

Im not sure, I used to only play FFA when I first started, brit10 is a good guess.

CTF

[FW] - We're a bunch of dudes that enjoy odamex, its fun.

Going to Quakecon 2013 and meeting JKist, Dev, and DS.

Offline Doomkid

• Deathmatch Nut
    • View Profile
    • Doomkid's YT Channel
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 01:50:42 »
Great idea for a thread.

I came up with this stupid name when I was 9 or 10, tried to change it, but then no one knew who the hell I was. Now I'm stuck with it!

Shareware Doom with my dad and older brother all huddled around the screen. Probably would have been late 1995 at age 4, I was definitely too young to play this kind of game, but I don't think my dad bought into any of that videogame violence propaganda.

Officially, Doom95. Unofficially, ZDoom, back in 2002 on Doom Connector, thanks to Hellbent and R. Good memories.

Hmm, either doomcity (a legend), Hellrun for Doom2 (another legend) or DMD2DIE.wad, which is garbage looking back, but again the memories are fond.

Deathmatch!

Not really in a clan. Haven't been into that kinda stuff for years, though in the back of my mind I enjoy the thought of being in UD - like that'll ever happen!

My early days on Doom Connector, playing with Grim666, Kitty, Metal, Naut and the rest of CD. A bunch of dumb kids having fun Doomin'. Great ping when I was in the US, and overall I haven't kicked the habit, so that speaks for itself :)
Part of the Oceanian Doomers Club

Offline Jacob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 10:32:49 »

Jacob might be interpreted as meaning "holder of the heel" or "supplanter."

DOOM shareware was passed around middle school in 1993 on 3.5" floppy disks. I didn't own a computer but was able to play DOOM on two friends' computers at their houses. I was drawn in by the unique music, sounds, environment, and game play. I always tried to fit in a game of DOOM when I could. During my freshman year in H.S., I was able to get a dose of DOOM at the end of every school day for the 2nd half of the semester when I took typing. I finished the exercises early every day and the teacher let my friend and I reboot the 486 DX33 machines to play single player DOOM. During my sophomore year (1995) my parents bought a computer which allowed me to start exploring DOOM on my own terms. I played single player DOOM and DOOM II as well as multiplayer DOOM II with H.S. acquaintances over the modem. It was often difficult to setup smooth running games over the modem. I recall spending time tweaking configs, dialing and re-dialing in search of a solid connection, and having issues with playing against people using DOOM for MAC. Soon after, I learned about bulletin board systems (BBS) and began playing more organized duel dm, 4 player ffa, and dog tag (old school 2v2 team game) on the BBS. While that took place ~1995, I have since reconnected with several players from the BBS including Katana Man (Duke 3d world player) and FooRaw. (BBS system operator) I became real life friends with several of the players from the BBS in those days.

I believe the first DOOM port that I played was DOOM95, a port created by Microsoft in 1995 to help push Windows 95 as a gaming platform. I don't recall playing any other ports in that era. (However I do recall the many versions of DOOM and DOOM II that floated around) Did you know that Microsoft may have considered buying up ID Software back when DOOM was installed on more computers than Windows 95? By the way, DOOM95 never caught on with me. I was highly sensitive to the differences between DOOM95 & vanilla DOOM.

I am not sure what the first PWAD I ever played was. I do recall playing PWADS that were distributed on CD-ROMS or the WWW in single player mode. After I became a BBS member, I began to play classic PWADS you still see played today such as Danzig, Dweller, and Dwango. I am sure that we played some COOP wads as well but I don't recall any names. ODIUM rings a bell - I'll have to look that up. Reading thick books at the book store while my mother was shopping inspired me to learn how to create my own PWADS early on with tools like WADED and NWT. I made a D5M1 FFA edit and a 2-4 player FFA map from scratch using WADED.

My favorite game mode is probably duel deathmatch. There is a player named DemonSphere who has helped me get back in touch with my roots as a duel DM player and learn the ropes of modern duel DM play, which is slightly different than OS due to features that modern ports offer like aliasing. The reason that I like duel deathmatch is because I see it as a 1-1 psychological challenge. Every split second counts and every thought and movement impacts the outcome. It is so with any game mode, but perhaps it is more apparent in duel deathmatch. It's interesting to me to see how players use strategy. I think that a good duel deathmatch player has to be a chameleon in ways, always sensing their opponent's state, approach, style, actions in situations, reactions to situations, etc. and adapting to them accordingly, like water over rocks.

I am not in a clan. I run -=FATE=- but it is not a clan. FATE is a "will or principle or determining cause by which things in general are believed to come to be as they are or events to happen as they do" such as FATE 001 and FATE 002.

My fondest memories of multiplayer DOOM are the times during which there was fantastic competitive multiplayer action paired with fun and friendly social interactions. In the days of the RAG BBS, players connected socially through in game text chat, BBS forum posts, phone calls, and for some, in person meetings. There was an annual RAG FEST that offered players a chance to meet each other in person each year. Several of us became real life friends. Some players that I became friends with on the BBS included Blizzard, Devastator, and Moogle. My fondest recent memories of DOOM are also of times when there was great competition paired with great social interaction. I have enjoyed chatting with and getting to know players like DemonSphere who take their game seriously but know how to have fun and play nice.

I remember you DJ, Krash, Katana Man, Alice in Chains, Blizzard, Devastator, Moogle, FooRaw, Buzzo, & Interceptor.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:34:12 by Jacob »

Offline DemonSphere

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 10:49:43 »
DemonSphere, was originally "DreaMSphere" But that sounded to soft for a game like doom. One of my more original nicks was Login66, that as because at the time I created my account there were 65 players online, I was the 66th.
Doom shareware.
That would probably be Legacy Doom somewhere around 2001
Now this I'm not sure of. I remember a wad my dad played that was some sort of floating sky base. One I remember well is the Alien TC ad for Doom. around 1999/2000
That's easy. Duels.
I'm in CD on ZD have been for a very long time, since 2005? 2006? Maybe earlier. GE on Odamex and because there needed to be a more diverse set of clans on Odamex.
Probably playing CTF with my clan back in the day when Teamspeak was always populated. A memory that has stuck with me though was playing Coopbuild with Thunder and a few others in the morning.