Message Boards

Topic: Awful Performance on OSX  (Read 8404 times)

Offline squillward

• View Profile
Awful Performance on OSX
« on: November 10, 2015, 23:24:25 »
Hello,

I recently got into online Doom. However, because Zandronum lacks many vanilla deathmatch servers, I decided to give Odamex a try.

Unfortunately, Running the game at my laptop's resolution (1440 by 900) destroys the framerate and the game starts to chug. It runs at 60 when set to much lower resolutions, but the current performance is still unacceptable for me. I can run Zandronum, and GZDoom at high framerates easily on both software and Open GL modes, but Odamex refuses to cooperate. I know the forums are pretty dead lately, but can anyone help me?

Offline WhichOnesPink

• View Profile
Re: Awful Performance on OSX
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 21:27:55 »
Sorry, won't be able to completely help you out here. Not a developer, but my guess would be what Odamex is using at the moment. If I am correct, this is running on an older version of the ZDoom engine. The old versions have been known to have serious optimization problems running on modern Macs thanks to the backend it used, something that wasn't fixed until fairly recently. This is something I could see being addressed in an update to the port. So right now, until an update for Odamex is released (if ever), your best bet is to either run the game at a lower resolution or play ZDoom/GZDoom/Zandronum.

Offline WhichOnesPink

• View Profile
Re: Awful Performance on OSX
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 14:22:11 »
Oh, and it also helps to turn off 32-bit color.