Message Boards

Topic: DOOMED IN SPACE (A community Project!)  (Read 10246 times)

Offline Doomkid

• Deathmatch Nut
    • View Profile
    • Doomkid's YT Channel
DOOMED IN SPACE (A community Project!)
« on: February 16, 2016, 21:59:33 »
Hello there, and welcome to DOOMED IN SPACE!

This project is all about capturing the essence of science fiction. Maps will be very 'futuristic', featuring lots of clean, shiny, grand architecture. Computer terminals, transporter pads, large space stations etc is what I'm after. There have been a few Star Wars mods and Doom clones over the years that capture this element somewhat in their design, and I want to bring that vibe to the smooth, comfortable gameplay of Doom.

---

The Story:
The year is 2188. Cybernetic enhancement has been the UAC's main focus for over three decades, and they are finally making some breakthroughs. "The UAC is the future of humanity" soon became their slogan, and the populous loved it. Long forgotten are the days of demonic invasion and hellspawn - Those wounds have been bandaged for nearly a century. The UAC is a trusted force of humanity in the public eye, and thanks to their efforts, cybernetic humans seem to be the way of the future. Their latest press release boasted the benefits of their endeavors to very little scrutiny.

What isn't commonly discussed is how these breakthroughs have been made. Reports of young adults mysteriously disappearing from some of the smaller, more primitive colonies seem to be happening more and more frequently. No one would suspect the UAC - the future of humanity - could possibly be responsible for these heinous crimes.

My name is Genus. None of my family know why I'm here. They have no idea why I've been missing for 6 months now. I have undergone things that 'torture' simply fails to describe. Experiments, testing.. I'm a shell of my former self. My body is mostly robotic at this point, my ability to feel the warmth of a human touch, completely gone. However, there are benefits.. I now posses superhuman strength and speed. Rage flows through me. It looks like the guards have left the security terminal unwatched for a brief moment.. Now is my chance for revenge. Now is my change to escape.

(I hope you love that B-Movie cheese as much as I do!)

---

New enemies:
The enemies are edited slightly from their Doom counterparts, but not so much so that it breaks the intended flow. Space troopers, sergeants and chaingunners are a little less sluggish in their movement as they aren't zombies in this mod, but they otherwise attack in the same way as usual. WolfSS enemies are now used as patrol officers. The graphics have been modified from Doom64, Wolf3D and Star Wars Dark Forces.

Imps have been replaced by space marines. Their plasma attack is like a slightly weaker and less rapid Arachnotron attack, so be careful around them.

Demons are now Plasma Heavy Marines. The "Imps" not tough enough? Put some of these bad boys around in your map. Their shots are quite deceptive, taking you off guard.

Barons and Hell Knights have been replaced by flamethrower marines. Normal troopers have a health of 60 or 70, but the flamethrower marine has 120 and flamethrower elite has 200. (Very weak compared to real Knights and Barons!) These guys are destructive up close, but with some distance they don't stand a chance.

Cacodemons are now replaced by Brain Orbs, originally found in Area51.wad. I've modified their behavior so that they fire rapidly rather than just releasing one fireball, making them quite a bit more threatening. I also made some suitable sound effects for them.

Cyberdemons, Spider Masterminds, Revenants, Arch-Viles, Mancubi, Arachnotrons, Pain Elementals and Lost Souls remain unchanged. I welcome people to submit sprites for us to replace them with, but let's keep their behavior in-tact - We all know how to map around their current functionality.

New weapons:
Weapon behavior has also been slightly modified to suit the new theme. The pistol is taken from Star Wars, and is much more useful than the vanilla Doom counterpart.

The Shotgun is now the Blaster, sprites originally from equinox.wad. It is significantly faster than the normal shotgun!

The Chaingun is replaced be a machine gun, once again from Dark Forces, and once again has a higher DPS than the vanilla version.

There's no longer a chainsaw, instead we have the far more useful Railgun! It is the plasma equivalent of a sniper rifle, a very powerful weapon indeed. Sprite is from skulltag.wad.

I intend on replacing the SSG, however I'm not sure what with yet. There are more enemy and weapon changes pending, but this is what I have so far.

---

Screenshots and resource pack download:

What, you thought I came here empty handed? Hell no! Click here to download the demonstration level and resource pack built to show you the sort of themes and architecture I'm looking for here - That slick space station vibe with all them glowy lights and computers and whatnot. It will also give you an idea of how the weapons and enemies function.

A few ground rules:
Due to the use of railguns and other extended bex features, this will aim to run in (G)Zdoom, Zandronum, Zdaemon and Odamex. To ensure consistent gameplay in SP, online, and across all ports, please use Boom format mapping. Not only will it ensure compatibility but it well retain that oldschool 90's Doom-clone vibe, which I feel is a crucial element of this project! Please DO NOT make jumping mandatory in your map, and make sure player can't jump across pits or bridges or whatever to skip parts of your map!

You can use a maximum of 5 custom textures and 5 custom flats in your map. I want to keep the filesize low on this one and I want to keep the theme fairly consistent. If you can think of graphics you think would be worth submitting for textures, enemies or otherwise, feel free to, however that doesn't guarantee they'll be accepted. I'm looking to come to a solid episode.

Mapslots are listed below:

Map01- Escape! by Doomkid
Map02- DoomLover234
Map03- Space Waste by Crunchynut44
Map04- AnonimVio
Map05- Angry Saint
Map06- Over and Out by joe-ilya
MAp07- obake
Map08- uggi121
Map09- AD_79
Map10- MrEnchanter
Map11- LanHikariDS
Map12- Nevander
Map13-
Map14- DRL 3.33
Map15-
Map16- Doomkid

---

If people really are busting to make maps for this, the list could potentially be expanded.

I hope you like what you see. Looking forward to submissions from you all! :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 15:19:54 by Doomkid »
Part of the Oceanian Doomers Club

Offline Hekksy

• Doomin' since '96
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: DOOMED IN SPACE (A community Project!)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 11:47:15 »
Neat but the weapon sprites look off
Join the Odamex Steam group! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/odamex
Check out the Odamex Discord as well: https://discord.gg/vHUu236

Offline Doomkid

• Deathmatch Nut
    • View Profile
    • Doomkid's YT Channel
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 15:23:13 »
Honestly it would be awesome if I had someone who's great with sprites to work on this, but ah well, I'm just working with what's available.

Offline Doomkid

• Deathmatch Nut
    • View Profile
    • Doomkid's YT Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 19:39:43 »
Alrighty people, I've compiled the first 'real' little beta of what we have so far!

http://www.geocities.ws/doomkid/1dmspace.zip

The current maplist is as follows:
MAP01 "Escape!"
The starter map, I still need to add some detail and polish here and there, but it's pretty much complete.

MAP02 "City of Tiny Lights"
Very early progress on another map, will likely (as in definitely) not remain in slot 02.

MAP03 "Outdated Outpost"
Obake's map submission. Great map for early in the pack, plays well and I dig it. There's two little HOMs in software mode but it's very minor stuff.

MAP04 "Brain Damage"
MrEnchanter's submission. Like Obake's, has a few little HOMs and texture oddities in software mode/Odamex, but It's a damn good map that aside. Great 'lunar surface base in a valley' feel here!

MAP05 "Command Station Zulu"
Nevander's submission. Good lord this map is beautiful. I think I found a tiny HOM or two but once more, the issues are tiny and far between. I think this one will need to go a bit later in the pack, it's very grand.

MAP06 "Wheel in the Sky"
Empyre's submission. Whatever the final map rotation is, I want this one right in the middle - It has a fantastic "Hub of all the space stations" feel to it. Can be beaten in only a few minutes, which is fantastic - Not every map needs to be long.

MAP07 "Toxicity Station"
Bootleg Guy's submission. I really like this map, matches up perfectly with my mapping style, if you don't mind my saying. Fits the theme well, fun to play - Great stuff.

MAP08 "Space Madness"
Very early submission from everennui. There isn't much here yet, though I really like the little computer room in the central area. It's fitting the theme well and I hope to see more progress. There are several HOMs here, but like all of them, should only be a quick fix.

I'll be adding further submissions in the correct order according to the OP, then further along we can decide on a rotation. At the moment, the focus is getting more submissions / polishing what we have so far. All the screenshots I've seen of not-yet-submitted maps are looking very promising as well.

More to come, and keep up the fantastic work, as always!