Message Boards

Topic: Server and the Server List  (Read 8257 times)

Offline QuiescentWonder

• View Profile
Server and the Server List
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:51:27 »
I've been messing with it for about half an hour now and I can't seem to get my server to show up in the server list in the Launcher or on the website. I've forwarded port 10666 to the right PC and launched the server three or four times now. I can connect to it locally.

If you want to try to manually connect, the address is: 68.56.25.30:10666

Offline QuiescentWonder

• View Profile
Re: Server and the Server List
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 11:44:02 »
Alright, so the server works when my PC is plugged directly into the modem but it doesn't work when behind the router. I KNOW what you are all going to say "set up port forwarding." That's just not the case, I tried port forwarding (I know how to set it up) but after that failed along with me resetting all of the networking equipment in my house and my PC I decided to just put this PC in the DMZ. So, every UDP and TCP port is forwarded to this PCs IP address and people can type in my public IP in Odamex and connect to the server without any issues. BUT, now the server still doesn't show up in the server list. Does anyone have any idea what's going on or how to help me? I have Comcast Internet service in South-West Florida with a Motorola SB5120 modem, a D-Link DI-524 router with the latest firmware and a Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller. My PC has Windows XP Professional (a fairly new install) and the firewall is off. There are no third-party firewalls installed on my PC, there is no virus protection, and the only applications that run which use the Internet are a web browser and uTorrent. I've tried closing uTorrent but it makes no difference.

BTW, I've tried a range of different server builds.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 11:48:18 by QuiescentWonder »

Offline deathz0r

• Administrator
  • kick it oldskewl
    • View Profile
    • deathz0r's Place of DOOM
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 16:48:56 »
Tried setting 'natport' on the server?

Offline Voxel

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Voxelsoft
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 07:43:48 »
See if you can get anyone to connect to your server from the internet using your router's internet ip. If not, then your router/firewalls are not letting stuff through and natport certainly won't help.

Offline QuiescentWonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 12:05:07 »
I've already tried setting natport, it didn't do any good. Besides, I don't think that would be the issue. Also, people can connect when given my IP address.

Offline Voxel

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Voxelsoft
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 18:07:44 »
After checking that people can connect to your server via the net and setting natport to the port that your router is forwarding, you should wait for a few minutes while the master mulls it over.

Offline QuiescentWonder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 23:16:02 »
I thought I'd given it ample time to show up. I've tried to set it up maybe five different times with different revisions and given it at least 5-10 minutes a couple of times. Even left one up for half an hour once before checking it again and taking it down. Someone in the IRC channel (I can't remember who) told me they checked and that my server wasn't responding to commands (or something like that) from the master. They restarted the masters but still after a few minutes my server didn't show up.

Also, when I connect my PC directly to my modem it works fine which leads me to believe that it's just some setting (or possibly a bug) in my router. If it's a bug why don't I experience this issue with running a Half-Life server or web server and no issues with forwarding ports for P2P applications. I've changed a few settings but nothing has made a difference. I have a D-Link DI-524 and UPnP is off if that helps any.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 23:20:09 by QuiescentWonder »

Ant P.

• Nobody
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 21:34:32 »
Now I'm having this exact same problem on 0.5.0.

People on the outside can connect to my server manually so my port forwarding is obviously correct. The server sends packets to both masters every 25 seconds but never gets a reply, and doesn't show up on the launcher list or the server list on the website.

Offline XDelusion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 19:37:21 »
I hope someone comes up with a clue cause I'm going through the same exact motions, except I have to manually add the server on the same machine the server is running on. All firewalls are disabled, Port Forwarding is set, etc. etc. etc.

I see no reason for it not to work, and yet it does not without manually typing in the server adress. :/
If we lost an eye we would be sad. So the Mother too is sad, and she'll end, and the world ends... - From the Heart of the World