Message Boards

Topic: Differences to other ports?  (Read 7456 times)

Offline tourettes

• View Profile
Differences to other ports?
« on: January 24, 2007, 16:50:25 »
From what I see, Odamex seems like a good stable port. But why should I pick this port over one such as Zdaemon or Skulltag? I could see if I wanted more of an oldschool type setting I'd pick this over Skulltag.

But other than just supposedly getting a cleaner code to play online with, what does Odamex offer that is special to it?

Offline Voxel

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Voxelsoft
Re: Differences to other ports?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 18:05:14 »
Nobody is asking you to pick Odamex over anything else. Play whatever you like.

We have already created some stuff that we think is cool, like being able to run stably and smoothly on the operating system of your choice. Changing wads on the fly sounds fun. Having an active development team that listens and cares. This is only the beginning of the beginning, much of the cool stuff is still in early  development. The dust has not settled. We're in this for the long haul.

Offline Qwerty_

• View Profile
    • The1Qwerty
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 07:55:25 »
The fact that you can run it on linux is why I am interested in it although having trouble compiling got a topic in the Client board.

Offline Slayer

• Time to start piling up the bodies!
    • View Profile
    • DUI
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 09:31:57 »
yes odamex is being recieved well because of its versitility. It will allow many users that work and play on a wide veriety of OS's to play doom anywhere! It will also make it easier for people to allocate resources to servers and help the odamex team test and develop new patches and content. Basically it just gives us a look at the bigger picture unlike most of the aged doom ports which focus on one or a few cool features.

Offline Harbringer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 01:32:14 »
In later developments of Odamex, would I be able to make a permanent server from home?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 01:53:24 by Harbringer »
"Help me figure out what's causeing these hallucinations."

"I guess it might be a--"
"PINAPPLE"

"PAY ATTENTION IN CLASS!!!"

"Did you just now transform into a gigantic Eddie Vedder demon and scream at me?"

"No, No I did not."

"Great, Then I have no Idea what the hell your saying to m

Offline Slayer

• Time to start piling up the bodies!
    • View Profile
    • DUI
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 09:36:05 »
In later developments of Odamex, would I be able to make a permanent server from home?

thats up to you, 2 words... Dedicated server

better hope you're gainfully employed if you want to afford those game servers :D.

Offline QuiescentWonder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 10:25:12 »

You can run a dedicated server now.