Message Boards

Topic: joystick vertical sensitivity  (Read 4240 times)

Offline DynV

• View Profile
joystick vertical sensitivity
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:31:47 »
I got a DualShock-like controller (the base being for playstation (PS)) and I'm quite happy that I can use both analog sticks.

At first it turned too quickly to aim adequately so I reduced the sensitivity. But then I got ambushed by monsters and wanted to run away so that was very hard trying to strafe around them as I couldn't turn quickly enough to face them, so I increased the sensitivity.

Reaching E1M2 on Freedoom Ultimate, some monsters weren't at the same level so had to look (vertically). At first I used the keyboard to look ; but browsing the options I realized there's a look analog axis however my controller didn't seem to enable it, so I had a closer look realizing there's always freelook which I enabled. I could now have an almost-PS experience.

However the analog stick controlling turn also control look and it's hard to get used to using both at the same time ; it's maybe related to me not having much need to retain a vertical axis. So now when I want to turn hard, I find myself looking too up or down to navigate so have to pause my movement to adjust.

What would solve the issue would be to have different sensitivity. I'd like to restrain the look axis as I don't foresee the need to quickly look up or down. Optionally the look axis could be logarithmic so it would quickly look (up or down) withing a certain range, say 10° (+/-) and the remainder would take longer and longer ; beside exploration, I can't think of a situation where one would need to go further than 30°.

Please let me know how I can reduce the sensitivity only for look axis. Thank you kindly

Update 1: A workaround would be to assign a controller button to always freelook ; but I don't know how to do so.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:33:39 by DynV »

Offline Ralphis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: joystick vertical sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 18:19:56 »
I have referred Hyper_Eye to this thread so hopefully he can respond with something more substantial soon, but regarding resigning a button to toggle always freelook, you can put this in your config:

bind key "toggle joy_freelook"

Key obviously being whatever joystick button you want to use
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 22:55:39 by Ralphis »