Message Boards

Topic: Strife Multiplayer?  (Read 20466 times)

Offline Marcus Koller

• View Profile
Strife Multiplayer?
« on: February 19, 2007, 09:37:30 »
I was wondering if there is going to be any source port that will finally support Strife for multiplayer. My question is, Will Odamex get the chance to allow in game joining, code work, or any source at all to be able to control and keep IN SYNC with strife servers?

Offline Manc

• Administrator
  • Fist to the face!
    • View Profile
    • odamex.net
Re: Strife Multiplayer?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 16:48:37 »
Odamex does not and will not have Strife support.  Odamex is Doom first and foremost. 
Odamex Web Administrator

Offline Kristus

• TEAPOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 20:31:50 »
Doesn't DM work with Strife in Zdoom or Vavoom? (Strife doesn't have Coop natively)

Offline deathz0r

• Administrator
  • kick it oldskewl
    • View Profile
    • deathz0r's Place of DOOM
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 00:15:52 »
It should work in ZDoom. I've played Strife DM with Danni (ZDaemon developer) with a 2.0.63a beta of ZDaemon and there were no problems whatsoever.

Offline Slayer

• Time to start piling up the bodies!
    • View Profile
    • DUI
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 09:21:47 »
It should work in ZDoom. I've played Strife DM with Danni (ZDaemon developer) with a 2.0.63a beta of ZDaemon and there were no problems whatsoever.

yea this is about as good as it gets with strife, blood, and hexen. But if you'd wanna work on support for it then by all means be our guest ;).

Offline Zorro

• Professional n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 10:22:55 »
Odamex does not and will not have Strife support.  Odamex is Doom first and foremost. 

Since Odamex is an opensource project, I dont think the doors to such thing should be shut.  It is just that it isn't a high priority for the main development team.
^^ this post has wasted part of your life ^_^

Offline Manc

• Administrator
  • Fist to the face!
    • View Profile
    • odamex.net
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 14:46:17 »
Since Odamex is an opensource project, I dont think the doors to such thing should be shut.  It is just that it isn't a high priority for the main development team.
It's not a priority at all for the dev team, and as I'm part of this team as well I know what I'm talking about.
Odamex Web Administrator

Offline Kristus

• TEAPOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 12:39:14 »
Also, AFAIK it's quite difficult to add Hexen and Heretic support and still stick to the GPL license.

Offline Zorro

• Professional n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 16:37:57 »
It's not a priority at all for the dev team, and as I'm part of this team as well I know what I'm talking about.
Well what I meant is that with an opensource ("free" is a better word) project, the whole world can be a part of the development team.

Offline Marcus Koller

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 20:35:34 »
Its nice to have random people get in on the work, but just like skulltag they start to be come power hungry and cause massive flaws and anger issues.

The thing that bothers me the most is how moderators, and administrator get information from other doom communities about other people being bad and annoying (like myself) and ban them before even having a chance to play.

I just wish each own site would give the people a chance.

Offline Manc

• Administrator
  • Fist to the face!
    • View Profile
    • odamex.net
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 16:02:45 »
I'm not sure what you mean, but if you're referring to anything happening in the odamex community to you like that please do not hesitate to pm me.
Odamex Web Administrator

Offline Marcus Koller

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 18:01:36 »
I'm not sure what you mean, but if you're referring to anything happening in the odamex community to you like that please do not hesitate to pm me.

There are no problems with Odamex Community at all at this time, but I am just speaking that when it comes to people who have been banned for "God who knows what" users will likely come on other doom related communities and inform the owners that this user has to be banned immediately.

I just wanted basically give a heads up that I am one of those annoying "Noobs/Bastards" that have been a pain with spamming, threats, and annoyances. I just don't do that kind of stuff unless there is a resistance that started it.

This is getting too much off topic so. Are there any future productions on Odamex making Hexen, Heretic, Strife workable on this engine?

Offline Ralphis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 18:30:10 »
This is getting too much off topic so. Are there any future productions on Odamex making Hexen, Heretic, Strife workable on this engine?

These have never been one of our goals ever. They are not even a priority.

Offline Zorro

• Professional n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 20:35:37 »
Pretty much, if a third party patch is provided which is fully GPL complient, it will be considered for use.  I myself dont know what the grounds for patch acceptance are as far as this goes.

I've had a sort of interest in implementing hexen format maps (compatibility, yay :D) and the ACS VM, but having hardly ever played heretic, hexen, or strife, I'd have no devotion to recreating and playtesting these games.

Offline Dan

• PowerPrecision Networks Admin
    • View Profile
    • PowerPrecision Networks
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 11:58:59 »
Odamex, setting the standard in multiplayer DOOM.

Im sure you would love to see it, but keeping odamex under GPL, it is not gonna happen anytime soon.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 12:00:16 by Dan »