Message Boards

Topic: Odamex Popularity  (Read 5207 times)

Offline 40oz

• [n. 'faw-dee']
    • View Profile
Odamex Popularity
« on: January 29, 2012, 13:11:53 »
Odamex is a terrific source port and is quite obviously one of the "Top Three" for the online Doom Community. However, the immediate drawback od Odamex is how it is popularly inferior to ZDaemon and Skulltag.

This is not to say that there aren't enough people who like Odamex. Odamex Nitro's have shown that a whole lot of people have the latest version of Odamex installed on their computers. But while my enthusiasm for Odamex is high, one of my biggest turnoffs is how few people are actively playing it on a daily basis. There's no way that a lack various ZDoomisms are the one thing that's killing Odamex.

Almost every single time I open up my internet Doom browser, I'm presented with the same humdrum results. Nearly 100 servers; 0 people playing.

Odamex Nitro has done a pretty excellent job at stirring up some much desired public attention. (not from me though, I'm never home on saturday nights) I'm not sure how it's been doing lately, but I remember some early odamex nitros having a boatload of players, which is awesome! But still yet, when browsing the servers any day of the week, there's the occasional FFA that lasts about a half hour before the players get bored and do something else.

So the big question is what is seperating Odamex from the other two source ports? Why is it that ZDaemon and Skulltag have people playing daily over a 24-hour basis and Odamex does not? I'm sure there's some kind of snowballing effect going on there. Players congregate at one server, players who get bored disperse to other servers which eventually get populated with the other people who were initially just browsing.

I'm convinced there are plenty people browsing Odamex Servers, but none of them settle anywhere and start playing. I've been told many times, that if you pop up on IRC and say "hey lets play some CTF," many people awake from the dead and offer to join, which is cool but not as inviting as the other source ports have it.

So I'm thinking that we need some sort of course of action that will allow Odamex to take flight and soar with the popularity it deserves. Keeping the fire burning is one obstacle we'll have to tackle at a later point, but as of now we're having enough trouble just igniting the flame.

From my observations of Skulltag, which seems to have the most players on a regular basis, there appears to be a lot of wad and server variety. Many players are playing various gameplay mods, weapon mods, megawads, and gameplay modes I've never heard of. I don't advise that Odamex do this, but I do think the large scale of variety is inviting curious players to try something new.

In Odamex's case, things are much more traditional. Coop servers are just regular doom, deathmatches have the standard rules, etc. I'm not saying that this sort of tradition is hurting Odamex, but it could be keeping players from starting some random full-house games out of nowhere. Which leads to my next observations.

Playing by yourself is boring. Browsing the servers and seeing 0 people playing basically means you'll be having just as much fun on a server as you would be playing basketball with no net. But another point to address is that not everyone plays Odamex for a duel. Showing up on an empty deathmatch or a CTF server may indicate that you want to play an FFA or some team-based capture the flag, but an FFA doesn't become an FFA until there are 3 or more people playing. Seeing a server with one other person in it basically means you'll be stuck fighting that one person for a while. One-on-One games can be very sensitive, meaning the losing player may get bored or ragequit easily, isolating the other player by him/herself, which will also make that person want to quit. Server becomes empty again.

So from what I've gathered, I think the things that are really setting Odamex back are that there aren't many servers available that would be entertaining for one player to play by him/herself. Cooperative servers are hosted but they can be boring when the player can respawn as many times as they wish, giving them no incentive to stay alive or even try for that matter unlike playing single player.

While Skulltag and ZDaemon have a Survival Cooperative gamemode, where players who die are penalized with having to wait until the remaining players die or complete the level, Odamex could do something different. Now this is a bit of a personal preference, but in staying true to "Oldschool" themes of Odamex, maybe Odamex could promote playing Cooperative in Nightmare mode.

I've been playing a lot of Perdition's Gate in Nightmare mode. You might think that's a little ridiculous, but with infinite ammunition, it can be a real blast. There's enough resistance from the monsters to keep players entertained by themselves for a while, and with extra players, the fun multiplies as support from extra marines can make levels possible to complete even on the hardest (not even remotely fair) difficulty, which can be really rewarding. Especially with just one other player, plans and tactics can be exchanged to defeat an overpowered, nigh-unstoppable force. This could help players get together and congregate at a fast-paced server to hold their attention long enough until they decide to do something different.

Also Odamex seems to lack in a bit of gameplay variety in some of its servers. Maybe some servers could have a wad rotation (with the wads listed here on these forums as a reference), and change the wad being played on that server every week or so, and maybe skip to a random map daily. Also, If you join any deathmatch or CTF server you can expect the same things. Standard shotguns and super shotguns everywhere, plasmaguns, and bfgs hidden, same types of gameplay. Maybe some servers could run with dehacked patches that turn all the weapons into rocket launchers, or make all the players have 1% health or something nutty like that, to throw a few examples out there.

I think these things may help boost Odamex's popularity a lot hopefully these things will be considered and help make Odamex get the popularity and recognitiion it deserves. Odamex is my preferred source port and I'd love nothing more than to see it grow and prosper.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 13:22:19 by 40oz »

Offline Decay

• Industrial
    • View Profile
    • Mechanix Union
Re: Odamex Popularity
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 15:59:15 »
I would hazard a guess that most of the player base is older people who are in school or at work most of the time, and just don't play 24/7. Also most odamex players play multiport, so maybe they are off in another port? Another thing could be odamex players are also developers and/or modders/mappers and are busy doing stuff for the port to make it better to get more people playing it.
Quote from: Capodecima
reckless left for AX (burn in hell asshole)
MXU - Mechanix Union: A multi-port development team
#MXU on quakenet for mapping tips, projects, and more, or visit our site http://mxu.the-powerhouse.net/forums/
Velocity - http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16744

Offline Hekksy

• Doomin' since '96
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 18:12:31 »
Pretty much what Decay said. While I would love to stay home and play Odamex all day, I unfortunately have a job and social life, and so do 99% of the other people that have this port on their hard drive.

Your idea for Nightmare is great except for one problem: the fact that Odamex has the worst cooperative netcode right now. Why play Odamex when the competing ports already have cooperative (and survival) and have done it BETTER? As much as I hate to say it, Odamex just isn't "caught up" with the other ports in aspects like that. The developers are focusing more on catching up with newer features and standards that are in higher demand by the competitive scene. Remember that the majority of Odamex players are:
*People that play Odamex with more "exotic" environments, such as PPC Mac and XBOX.
*IDL players that want features that are now standard on ZDaemon and Skulltag
*Doomworlders that play occasionally when a new highly anticipated wad is going to be hosted for Nitro (DDWID, 32in24-11).

So the problem? IDL people still play ZDaemon because Odamex doesn't have everything they need yet. Doomworlders only play occasionally, and usually get their ass kicked by the IDL people. IMHO, only time can fix this as Odamex gains more features that have become standard in other ports over the years. Then in addition to that, Odamex has to do things better than the other ports. How do we get there as fast as possible? Simple. We need more people willing to tackle the problems in the bug tracker.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 18:00:00 by HeX9109 »
Join the Odamex Steam group! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/odamex
Check out the Odamex Discord as well: https://discord.gg/vHUu236

Offline Dr. Sean

• Developer
  • G'd up from tha feet up
    • View Profile
    • Odamex - Helping middle-aged men relive their teen years
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 21:34:32 »
40oz brings up some good points.  Getting games going is a "chicken or egg" problem, where people don't want to join an empty server and start a game, however if there is already a game in progress, they'll join and play for hours.

I regularly play with a group of guys on my server throughout the day and it often draws other players in as well.  Since it's a group of people starting a game, no one is sitting in a server waiting for others to join.  Having groups of players regularly starting games is a good way to grow the community, as other players have learned that they can expect several games throughout the day on my server and join in when they feel like it.

I think a take-home point is that players should try to befriend other players and organize their own games, whether it be with clans or just a group of friends.  It's always more fun to play with people you know and easier to get a game started than trying to get strangers to join an empty server.
Odamex Development Team Member

Offline 40oz

• [n. 'faw-dee']
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 01:36:07 »
Absolutely. At the moment I'm trying to think of ways to attract players to empty servers, that will soon become occupied and increase the probability of some good games popping up more frequently.

I have a full-time job, a clingy girlfriend, and some mapping projects that I'm working on, so time management is a big thing for me. But usually the lack of active servers is what is deterring me from playing as often. You can't honestly say that the following scenario has never happened to you: despite having a busy schedule, you have opened up your doom browser, saw that there were zero players, and then decided you didn't feel like going through the trouble of organizing a game. then proceeded to do something else instead.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 01:47:14 by 40oz »