Message Boards

Topic: A serious TDM league  (Read 6311 times)

Offline Decay

• Industrial
    • View Profile
    • Mechanix Union
A serious TDM league
« on: February 19, 2012, 21:18:30 »
2v2 tdm has always been my favourite thing to play in FPS games. Tight maps provide some super fast and fun action, and some larger maps provide tense and intense games. I've run a successful TDM league at Skulltag (by some miracle), and I'd love to expand and do it in Odamex.

The point of this thread is basically to see what kind of support a serious 2v2 tdm league would get here. What kind of ideas people want to offer in terms of teams, league/tournament style, length, maps, etc. As a point of reference, this is what I have in mind.

8 teams of 2, pick your own partner.
Round Robin; play as you guys are available, don't wait for a week by week grind.

Alternative's I thought of
2v2 tdm but there is a "draft" of 3rds who fill in for the 2nd; this prevents dragging it out.
Divisions --> top 2 teams of each division do a playoffs style knockout after.

I'm not planning anything IMMEDIATELY, but I want to see what kind of thoughts you have about this.
Quote from: Capodecima
reckless left for AX (burn in hell asshole)
MXU - Mechanix Union: A multi-port development team
#MXU on quakenet for mapping tips, projects, and more, or visit our site http://mxu.the-powerhouse.net/forums/
Velocity - http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16744

Offline Dr. Sean

• Developer
  • G'd up from tha feet up
    • View Profile
    • Odamex - Helping middle-aged men relive their teen years
Re: A serious TDM league
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 21:25:05 »
The thing that would be the most interesting IMO would be map choice.  Would the league feature maps that have team spawns or would they be standard DM maps?  I think there is ample opportunity to create new maps that would really highlight team dynamics (forgive me if you've already done this with your ST league...) and make TDM differ from FFA.
Odamex Development Team Member

Offline NullPoint

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 21:26:09 »
I like the idea. I like the pick your partner part.

Offline Decay

• Industrial
    • View Profile
    • Mechanix Union
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 21:32:57 »
As a starting point, using existing maps is best for a couple reasons.

1) people like to play maps they are familiar with; many new or unfamiliar maps are totally disregarded.

2) making a new set, while I personally would love, takes time to make a quality set.

If the league is a success and it runs more than once, maybe then a unique mapset is a more viable option.

At the same time, since I do not intend on running this until the new release, I suppose there is time if people wanted to make some new maps specifically for TDM.
Quote from: Capodecima
reckless left for AX (burn in hell asshole)
MXU - Mechanix Union: A multi-port development team
#MXU on quakenet for mapping tips, projects, and more, or visit our site http://mxu.the-powerhouse.net/forums/
Velocity - http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16744

Offline Ralphis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:17:23 »
I will definitely sign up a team

Offline capodecima

• Brodamex Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 04:36:53 »
ok

Offline HumanBones

• Global Moderator
  • Living Orgasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 12:45:55 »
I had a TDM tournament all planned out, with maps and everything.. IDL got in the way unfortunately. Perhaps this is a good place for it? Here's what I had planned:

2v2 TDM tournament with 8 teams. I believe I had a pool of 5 maps to choose from. The map process would be similar to ZDDL. Each team eliminates one map, and then plays for the best of 3. There's really not too much else to plan, except I'd have to dig up the 5 maps I had to see if, a few months removed from even thinking about it, they were good maps to play TDM on.

I can start this as soon as possible if there are some interested parties!

Offline Shogun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 22:56:11 »
Sounds like fun

Offline Nautilus

• Crezzy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 15:50:09 »
HELL yes. Let's do this ASAP. Odamex could use some action, especially in the form of a tourney. Gotta raise up that competitive spirit.
This is the nuclear shakedown.