Message Boards

Topic: Windows Nightlies  (Read 3664 times)

Offline AlexMax

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • AlexMax @ Github
Windows Nightlies
« on: October 02, 2007, 19:00:39 »
After much headache, I have finally been able to set up a system of nightly Odamex builds for testing purposes.  Every night at 6AM, or whenever I click the magic button (tm), a new build is uploaded.

However, I must stress that these builds are for TESTING PURPOSES and probably will break on most of the servers you try to connect to.  If you want to actually play these builds with other people, join our IRC channel and bug me to organize a test session.  And please run odamex-dbg.bat instead of odamex.exe (type in start to start the game and then continue to continue past a breakpoint), because if you crash, gdb will be able to catch the program, and we can diagnose what went wrong assuming you get a backtrace (type in bt).

Confused?  I'll be writing a wiki article soon on how to properly test and how to use GDB.  But if you don't know what you're doing, don't download it.  It's that simple.

The filenames are named odamex-svn-###.zip.  The number at the end is the SVN revision.  You can find out what has changed in that particular revision by looking at the SVN Tracker or Changelog, both of which are accessable from the left hand panel.

So what is actually avalible in the zip file you download?  The zip come with a Win32 Debug compiled version of odamex, the odamex server, a copy of GDB, and a batch file to run Odamex with GDB. This should make testing orders of magnitude easier.  By the way, thanks for actually reading this the whole way through, you need to click on the sixth word on the sentance at the bottom of the page to actually go to the downloads page.  However, my script is not yet advanced enough to tell if compiling has failed. So if you download the latest revision and it turns out to be missing odamex.exe, that’s why.  And for godsakes, if you get one of these defective builds, tell me

Also, it goes without saying that these builds are not endorsed by the Odamex team, and in fact are liable to start and stop being updated without notice.  This is something I hacked together in my spare time.

If you have read everything click here to access the nightlies
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 19:22:56 by AlexMax »