Message Boards

Topic: Thank you...  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Trackball_912

• View Profile
Thank you...
« on: May 07, 2012, 00:47:25 »
Hello, I'm Patrick/Monkey/whatever people call or used to call me. I've been active on and off in the DooM community for about 15 years. I just wanted to say thanks to the people responsible for Odamex, you've given me a solid platform for a lot of fun :)

We've been on a Halo/Xbox kick at my house the last while, and have 3 systems linked for LAN fun. When I finally got around to soft-modding my XBoxes, I went looking for something to give some more life to Microsoft's old black workhorses and was shocked to find Odamex, in cross-platform glory, no less! I admit I haven't spent much time on the port before now (if only because the servers are almost always empty) but over this last couple days me and a buddy or two have popped in some Deathmatch, I think we caught the end of some kind of weekly tournament(?), and played a bit in some Co-Op servers (Btw, Hell to Pay is awesome).

The controls on the Xbox S-Type aren't going to turn anyone away from mouse and keyboard, but after spending a long time with arguably the defining game that took FPS's away from the computer (no, i'm not forgetting Goldeneye), there really isn't much to improve on. It's DooM and it feels right, even if its not perfection. The only complaint I have, though I'm sure you're aware of it, is that it would be nice to be able to chat, and, uhh, change my name to something other than 'Xbox Player'.

Anyways, it's rare that I can get my friends away from Gears of Zombie Duty 4 to play 'oldschool' Halo, let alone DooM, but put a Xbox controller in the mix on a couple old tube TVs, shooting monsters and looking for keys and secrets hasn't gotten any less fun :)

I'm not sure what you guys have planned for Odamex, but I look forward to future releases.

Oh, and If anyone here has any old XBoxes lying around, give the port a shot and see what you think. If you need help setting it up, feel free to e-mail me.

Offline HyperEye

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Thank you...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 16:11:36 »
Hi. Thank you for your post. I'm glad you are enjoying Odamex on Xbox. A lot of work went into making it as polished an experience as possible. Of course there are plans to do more to improve the experience. A virtual on-screen keyboard is probably the biggest improvement that is needed for consoles. In the meantime there is a way to manually change your player name and there are chat macros. To learn about these things please read the Xbox README: http://www.odamex.net/svn/filedetails.php?repname=Odamex&path=%2Fbranches%2F0.6-dev%2FXbox%2FREADME.Xbox

In addition, you can always plug in a USB keyboard using a USB-to-Xbox cable. They are usually only a couple bucks online and they work great. You can use the keyboard for communication in combination with the controller or you can also plug in a USB mouse and play with keyboard and mouse. We appreciate your suggestions and I hope we see you online going forward!