Message Boards

Topic: zDOOM 1.22 Compatability...  (Read 6501 times)

Offline XDelusion

• View Profile
zDOOM 1.22 Compatability...
« on: June 22, 2012, 14:02:51 »
I have been eagerly awaiting this latest release of Odamex, for it was to include sloped floor support, which I was waiting on so I could play through Rex's Darkest Hour on my classic XBOX game console, not to mention within the AROS operating system which Odamex is currently being ported to.

As fate would have it, the sloped surfaces worked like a charm and I began to get very excited, though as I moved on through the game I began to realize that not everything from zDOOM 1.22 or 1.23 for that matter were fully supported yet.

It would seem that part of the scripting system is broken as you can not collect the space suit and go outside in Darkest Hour, which hinders all progress in the game.

I understand that Odamex is designed with on-line Death Match in mind, and not geared so much for the Single Player experience, but it, unlike zDOOM is not dependent upon FMOD.DLL which therefore makes it easily portable to a variety of platforms, and possibly the most advanced DOOM port in the portability category.

It is for this reason that I would love to see Odamex's source brought up on to speed in this regard. Not only would I love to be able to enjoy Rex among some of the other DOOM Mapper's old zDOOM work on my XBOX and AROS machine, but I'd also like to eventually rebegin work on my own Odamex related project some day, and I'm quite sure that I'm going to want to make use of as many old (and maybe new) zDOOM features as possible. This is after all part of what sets Odamex apart from say, PrBOOM, that is when you take the multi-player element out of the equation. Though of course I am really keen on the idea of multiplayer missions as well! ;)

http://doomnexus.drdteam.org/oldstuff1.html
If we lost an eye we would be sad. So the Mother too is sad, and she'll end, and the world ends... - From the Heart of the World

Offline Hekksy

• Doomin' since '96
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: zDOOM 1.22 Compatability...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 05:55:26 »
I'm wondering if it really is a matter of not supporting something from ZDoom 1.22, or the fact that Odamex's ACS parser is updated to 1.23b33 which might have changed something and broken the wad. Notice that "ZDoom 1.22 is required" according to the page you linked to. Feel free to put it on the bug tracker though.

While it is few, there are a few features from ZDoom 1.22 and below that were never implemented. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is stealth monster things, which make missing things appear in bella.wad.
Join the Odamex Steam group! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/odamex
Check out the Odamex Discord as well: https://discord.gg/vHUu236

Offline XDelusion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 17:37:27 »
Bug submitted, thank you.

In the mean time I found some mapping errors in the map as well. That is to say, errors for Odamex, not zDOOM. :)
If we lost an eye we would be sad. So the Mother too is sad, and she'll end, and the world ends... - From the Heart of the World

Offline Ralphis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 13:20:04 »
As far as the impassable bridge goes, you will need to go into the compatibility menu and set the top option about actor heights to on. You could also turn ZDoom physics on. As a matter of fact, you would be fine to just turn all of the compat options on for most single player ZDoom wads.

Offline XDelusion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 18:07:14 »
I have resolved every issue within Odamex's setting with the exception of the scripts that do not work. I.E. in Darkest Hour when you grab your space suit, it is supposed to allow you to open the doors to go outside where the gravity is lighter, but still it tells me that I need my suit on first.

Offline Pseudoscientist

• Peanut gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 01:01:54 »
I have resolved every issue within Odamex's setting with the exception of the scripts that do not work. I.E. in Darkest Hour when you grab your space suit, it is supposed to allow you to open the doors to go outside where the gravity is lighter, but still it tells me that I need my suit on first.
Because in Odamex, ACS inventory checking functions are commented out.
Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!

Offline XDelusion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 13:22:24 »
Man... that is depressing!