Message Boards

Topic: Intel Compiler Developer Builds for Odamex(Windows only)  (Read 4322 times)

Offline MP2E

• View Profile
Well, hello, you might have seen me in the changelog a few times... I've been working on a patch to compile Odamex with the Intel 10.1 compiler, and after hours of work and help from GhostlyDeath, I have succeeded. What does this matter from the GCC build you say? Well, from my testing:
-Executable is half the size of GCC build
(client is now 780kb and server is roughly 550kb)
-Client has been optimized by compiler better to run much faster, and yet still maintains compatibility to Online play.
-Server is now faster as well, though only optimized -O1 because of the inability of x86_64 systems to run the server under -O2 optimization. Compatibility comes first people!

I'm compiling these every once in awhile, not nightly, but as Manc says "Developer Snapshots" every once in awhile. These builds are still for testing mostly, though I can tell you for a fact that the client runs perfectly.

What things need to be tested?
-Odasrv needs intense testing(should be fine and stable, but I need someone to make sure)
-Client just needs to be tested... I tested it pretty well, but you never know.
-Test Odamex.exe and Odasrv.exe under Windows 98. It should run, but I NEED someone to confirm this.
-Test under a foreign language windows. Should be fine once again, but once again it needs to be tested.

One more thing, I need to stress that if you use these and find a bug PLEASE test an appropriate GCC build of Odamex.exe and Odasrv.exe of the SAME revision. If the bug is not present in the GCC version then you may post the bug in this topic so that I *hopefully* can fix it.

Here is the link to my project's page with the latest build:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1bx3ifgxzxj
Currently R633.

Also, if this is your first time getting my Developer build, download the SDL Dll's and put them in the same folder as the build. If you don't have them, download them here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sj5usgn1fbo
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 19:18:33 by MP2E »