Message Boards

Topic: IRC Client?  (Read 5158 times)

Offline AlexMax

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • AlexMax @ Github
IRC Client?
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:54:57 »
I think that an IRC client in the launcher would be a really neat idea.  Both IDE and Doomseeker have one, but I think that making IRC a little more 'front and center' than either of those options would be a good idea, in order to make finding games with players easier.  It's been done before; Doom Connecter had chat in the bottom pane of the server browser (not IRC).

As well as Doomwire:

And of course DWANGO itself:

One downside is that autojoining an IRC channel exposes your IP address to everyone in the channel unless you cloak yourself.  Unfortunately, Quakenet does not allow ordinary users to cloak themselves unless they're registered and set themselves +x before joining.  And as we well know, other networks are usually not as hospitable to gamers and clan scenes as Quakenet, and running an Odamex-specific IRC network would be overkill.

EDIT: A quick mockup
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 12:19:21 by AlexMax »

Offline Pseudoscientist

• Peanut gallery
    • View Profile
Re: IRC Client?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 15:38:03 »
Yes.
Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!

Ant P.

• Nobody
Re: IRC Client?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 23:07:48 »
Sounds like a positive change, though I suggest making it off-by-default; not everyone wants to announce to the world every time they open odalaunch, and a few people might prefer using their own IRC clients.