Message Boards

Topic: How Did You Find Odamex?  (Read 11098 times)

Offline Hekksy

• Doomin' since '96
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
How Did You Find Odamex?
« on: September 13, 2012, 13:26:50 »
I remember AceOfSpades and Nautilus talking about it in a public Skulltag 96f Dwango5 Duel server back in 2006. When my friend asked "What is Odamex?" they shared the link to odamex.net. Back then the site was just "ODAMEX: Coming Soon..."

After that I managed to miss the 0.1a release but got 0.2a shortly after release. From then on I watched the port in IDE but hardly played it much until the 0.4 series, when I started hanging around the IRC channels and really started to take a like to the oldschool feel. I had forgotten what classic Doom felt like after playing Skulltag and ZDoom for so long, it was refreshing and nostalgic :)

How about you?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 14:14:26 by HeX9109 »
Join the Odamex Steam group! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/odamex
Check out the Odamex Discord as well: https://discord.gg/vHUu236

Offline Zakken

• View Profile
Re: How Did You Find Odamex?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 19:24:31 »
I only really knew about it from reading some Doom Wiki pages and stuff. I gathered some interest in it after this Altdeath thread was posted, and I wasn't really disappointed.

I ultimately started playing it seriously after 0.5.6 came out, since it had a working unlagged. c:

Offline Decay

• Industrial
    • View Profile
    • Mechanix Union
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 21:04:40 »
I first heard of it from another couple users in ST, Eric and Kirbonium. I gave those versions a try, wasn't really impressed, being truly spoiled by ST at the time.

I came back to here at the tail end of 5.4 and really started playing at 5.6. 5.7 so far was my favourite version, even though I was probably the only person using it. I had a really good mouse setting but it got overwritten with 0.6 and now it's completely fucked :)
Quote from: Capodecima
reckless left for AX (burn in hell asshole)
MXU - Mechanix Union: A multi-port development team
#MXU on quakenet for mapping tips, projects, and more, or visit our site http://mxu.the-powerhouse.net/forums/
Velocity - http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16744

Offline Dr. Sean

• Developer
  • G'd up from tha feet up
    • View Profile
    • Odamex - Helping middle-aged men relive their teen years
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 07:47:47 »
A couple of the guys at my office were talking about playing Doom when we were young, which quickly lead to me googling how to play DM on a modern machine. Since I wanted to play something resembling the original game and something cross-platform that would run on my Linux workstation, I got four players to fire up Chocolate Doom for a couple days. It soon became apparent that we needed C/S features since players needed to be able to come and go as their real work dictated.

Somehow, some additional searching turned up Odamex 0.5.0 and I set up a private LAN server and we were hooked. Odamex 0.5.0 played great on a LAN and we didn't need (nor did we know about) features like unlagged, interpolation, moving sector prediction, etc.

After making a few maps of my own, I opened our LAN server to public where HeX9109 and Ralphis were able to get 20 players in the server. Based on the response I saw, I knew I wanted to help out the Odamex project and contacted HeX9109, who referred me to #odamex-dev. And that was that...
Odamex Development Team Member

Offline nub_hat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 09:42:47 »
A month ago me and a friend wanted to play some doom 2 coop, we had tried prboom but it was difficult to get working and we kept disconnecting when we did get a game going.
I am a big fan of old school gameplay and after looking at most of the source ports odamex sounded very promising so we got it and enjoyed some games on doom 2 coop servers.
After a few days I started playing some DM as well and joined the Velocity CTF nitro which was also great fun.

Offline HumanBones

• Global Moderator
  • Living Orgasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 02:03:27 »
Been here since the beginning. Zwango, baby!

Offline CaptainAhab

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 14:05:10 »
I was searching for classic, old, timeless multiplayer games with active communities. Quake Live had been a blast, but I was looking for something a little... different.

Lo and behold, I stumbled upon Doom 2, and here I am. Just wish I had more time to play, I'm so busy right now. :(

Not to mention I wish this game would get some sort of a "revival" in this day and age, even if it is incredibly dated. The gameplay is absolutely golden.

Offline Zakken

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 11:35:12 »
Maybe after Doom 4 comes out, there should be another large wave of newcomers.

Offline capodecima

• Brodamex Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 12:35:46 »
vain said me about odamex , it was year 2008 or 2007 , omg it was so buggy almost unplayble lol, but idk why i loved it and even download linux and compiled new version odamex bcz it was in past more playble at linux than windows. now i belong to best players on odamex , and start play more ZD lol D:

Offline Nautilus

• Crezzy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 21:07:12 »
Been here since the beginning. Zwango, baby!

DITTO! Fucking Zwango haha...
This is the nuclear shakedown.

Ant P.

• Nobody
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 21:35:18 »
Funny thing that, I don't remember how I ended up here.

Got pissed off with zdaemon being unplayable in wine, about 7 years ago, went off and forgot about this stuff entirely for a few years, then I ended up here somehow. Probably Mike's fault.

Offline EmZee712

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 10:19:58 »
I remember, I had just joined Skulltag's IRC for the first time, cracking jokes about the port to the admins and complaining of ZDaemon's nazi board. When Ralphis happened along and began to throw his 2 cents in about them, after interviewing him on the actual accounts of his bannage and what really went wrong with ZD's old administration to new, he passed along this little link www.odamex.net says it's gonna be just like classic doom but a little better. That was when Odamex was at the end of 0.4 I think, still here now.

Offline XDelusion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 18:38:03 »
Hmm...

I just remember hear the name being tossed about as being another DOOM source port. I did not sit up and take notice till it got ported to the XBOX, and that I heard it was coming also to the Wii.

It was then that I realized what it was all about and that it not only featured the best in DOOM on-line experiences (from what I hear), but it also has some backwards compatibility with classic ZDOOM.

Such a thing deserves to be ported to every console and OS imaginable! :)
If we lost an eye we would be sad. So the Mother too is sad, and she'll end, and the world ends... - From the Heart of the World