Message Boards

Topic: Compilling Odamex 0.6.2. on Ubuntu  (Read 5524 times)

Offline yves

• View Profile
Compilling Odamex 0.6.2. on Ubuntu
« on: January 29, 2013, 00:03:23 »
Hi!

I would like to install and play Odamex on my computer. I use the latest kernel of Ubuntu. I followed the instructions available in this recent topic: http://odamex.net/boards/index.php/topic,2127.0.html (of course, I replaced 0.6.1 by 0.6.2)

However, I got stuck at the very end of the process, with that message: "make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop."

I don't really master the secrets of compiling and I'm not sure about what to do. Could someone give me a hand and tell me what I could do to fix this?

I pasted the output of my terminal after the "make && sudo make install" command here: http://justpaste.it/1uz6

Offline Pseudoscientist

• Peanut gallery
    • View Profile
Re: Compilling Odamex 0.6.2. on Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 07:22:00 »
Looks like you've succesfully compiled Odamex. Now, to get it working, copy odamex.wad (it should be in ~/Jeux/Doom/Odamex/odamex-src-0.6.2/ to same directory where the client binary is (it should be ~/Jeux/Doom/Odamex/odamex-src-0.6.2/build/client in your case, but you can move it to another directory), start odalaunch (should be in ~/Jeux/Doom/Odamex/odamex-src-0.6.2/odalaunch/odalaunch), configure paths from File->Settings->File Locations ("Odamex Path" should be where your Odamex client binary is).
Maybe there's a simpler way, I don't know.

BTW, IIRC by default build type is "Debug", which gives rather CPU-hungry binaries. You should probably recompile with build type set to "Release".
Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!

Offline yves

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:06 »
Thank you very much! It was successful, yes. I followed your direction and that worked perfectly. It's good to be able to play a port that is multiplayer and so close to the original Doom :)

However, I have no idea what "IIRC" is and don't know how to recompile with build type set to "Release." Could you drop a few command lines that I could copy/paste?

I have an extra question: what are the necessary files/folders to get the whole software working? Is everything in /build necessary? I have 6 folders there and, according to the name of the files they contain, most of what's inside seems to be related to cmake ("CMakeFiles").

Offline Pseudoscientist

• Peanut gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:21:49 »
However, I have no idea what "IIRC" is
If I Remember Correctly
and don't know how to recompile with build type set to "Release." Could you drop a few command lines that I could copy/paste?
In the build directory
Code: [Select]
cmake -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=Release && make
I have an extra question: what are the necessary files/folders to get the whole software working? Is everything in /build necessary? I have 6 folders there and, according to the name of the files they contain, most of what's inside seems to be related to cmake ("CMakeFiles").
You need the client binary (at client/odamex) and odamex.wad (from the root of source tree; should be placed in the same directory as client binary I think). The launcher (odalaunch/odalaunch) is also useful, but technically independent (of course actual playing requires the client binary and configuring path to it). There's also server (server/odasrv) which also needs odamex.wad. Otherwise it's independent of everything else.
Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!

Offline yves

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 20:21:18 »
Thank you again! Worked well, except that there was a tiny mistake in the command line you posted but I figured it out thanks to man cmake:
Code: [Select]
cmake -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=Release .. && makeThe two dots were missing so cmake didn't know where to find the source (I like when I understand what I'm actually doing).

You need the client binary (at client/odamex) and odamex.wad (from the root of source tree; should be placed in the same directory as client binary I think). The launcher (odalaunch/odalaunch) is also useful, but technically independent (of course actual playing requires the client binary and configuring path to it). There's also server (server/odasrv) which also needs odamex.wad.
Wow! Odamex is actually pretty light. Even better :)

I think I'm all set know, ready to play!
Thank you again.