Message Boards

Topic: Since Commander Keen is Impotent, What Alternatives Do We Got?  (Read 6325 times)

Offline XDelusion

• View Profile
Killing all the Commander Keens to trigger sector 666 in any level does not seem to work in DOOM in Hexen mode, so I'm curious what people are using as an alternative?

Thankx!
If we lost an eye we would be sad. So the Mother too is sad, and she'll end, and the world ends... - From the Heart of the World

Offline Pseudoscientist

• Peanut gallery
    • View Profile
Re: Since Commander Keen is Impotent, What Alternatives Do We Got?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 02:34:49 »
Works for me. Can you post a test wad?

Here's a test wad I made.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 05:03:17 by Pseudoscientist »
Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!

Offline XDelusion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 06:08:00 »
How in the heck...

Hold on, I got an a appointment I got to be at, will check into this further when I get home.

For some reason everything worked fine for me when editing in DOOM mode, but once I converted my map set over to HEXEN mode, all the Keen's stopped working on me and someone in a forum had told me Keen support was broken in early renditions of ZDOOM.

Again, I'll recheck all this when I get home, thanks!!!
If we lost an eye we would be sad. So the Mother too is sad, and she'll end, and the world ends... - From the Heart of the World

Offline XDelusion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 12:07:48 »
Alright, I re-read what Graf Zahl told me and what the exact issue is is that Keen works fine, but you can no longer transfer his code pointer to an enemy.

That being so I was looking for an ACS based solution, but now that I'm typing this, I have one other trick with Bex that I'd like to try out. I just though, if I simply lend one of the enemy's action frames to Keen, thus keeping Keen as Keen, Death Frame and all, then everything should transfer and work, the only down side then will be that I can only have one enemy type that carries the Keen Code Pointer which kind of goes against my master plan.

Oh well, if I can just have one Keen that walks, attacks, and has an association with Tag 666, then I'll get by, but having the ability to use ACS in relation to any enemy on any level would rock. Odamex is really awesome till it comes to working with weapons and enemies, then it's like 1999 all over again, still yet, I'm having fun trying to make Bex do neat things, I just wish it wasn't broken. :)

Offline Pseudoscientist

• Peanut gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 12:33:26 »
Alright, I re-read what Graf Zahl told me and what the exact issue is is that Keen works fine, but you can no longer transfer his code pointer to an enemy.
Take his words with a grain of salt, because Odamex isn't just some version of ZDoom. It had some changes for vanilla compatibility. From what I gather from Odamex code, A_KeenDie checks for alive monsters of the same type as the calling AActor. If there's none, the 666-tagged sector raises like a door.
That being so I was looking for an ACS based solution,
http://zdoom.org/wiki/ThingCount . It's not possible to use it for Keens AFAIU.
Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!

Offline XDelusion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 16:37:36 »
I know, he's kinda creepy, ever since that one time he tried to lure me into an unmarked van with candy, I've been leery. :)

I don't blame him, it seems to me that a huge chunk of the DOOM community isn't totally clear as to what all Odamex offers and does not offer. I know there is info in the FEATURES link on this page, but even that is kind of vague if you consider what all the engine can pull off, and what you should not expect to be able to pull off, I.E. many of the the THING features such as those found (don't mean to sound like a broken record, but...)Darkest Hour's ACS as well as those mentioned in my other posting below this one.

Anyhow, I did have some luck with this! See I'm some what of a DOOM in Hexen mode virgin. I have some experience from a few years back when I was playing with GzDOOM, but have since been working with PrBOOM and PrBOOM plus for the most part, so I'm alien to many of ZDOOM's features.
 What I discovered is that now I can TAG THINGS! So I can tag an Imp with a  1, and tell the THING to lift a ceiling. Then I just have to TAG a SECTOR with 1, give it the ground's height, and boom, everything resolved, no ACS needed!

VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY COOL!!!!! I'm happy!