Message Boards

Topic: Highscores/Stats of some sort idea  (Read 11947 times)

Offline Fluffles

• View Profile
Highscores/Stats of some sort idea
« on: April 21, 2013, 18:04:26 »
Ello,

Just an idea but I'd love to see some sort of stats system for a competitive play on odamex, I dont mean something like exp on zdaemon as I felt that probably was a good system back in the day but it was easily abused.

One idea I thought of was making it was either a kill to death ratio. Or something like a winning streak, or winning ratio etc.

I know you guys are generally very busy with bugs etc but I think it would really help with popularity to odamex with a great stats system.

Theres still alot of players who play zdaemon for the stats feature alone and considering I think that the exp system isn't perfect, that's pretty awesome.

Anyway simpler way of putting it, would their ever be a stats or highscore type idea for odamex?

If you guys have any ideas for one for the developers post it here aswell

Offline Dr. Sean

• Developer
  • G'd up from tha feet up
    • View Profile
    • Odamex - Helping middle-aged men relive their teen years
Re: Highscores/Stats of some sort idea
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 18:34:16 »
I would be very much in favor of creating a very detailed stat tracking scheme and have created outlines for such before. However there are a few larger issues that need to be resolved for us first:

• Players need to be authoritatively identified. The server needs to know you're Fluff and its not someone aliasing with the same name. (Read: username & password)
  • Which method should be used to output the stats at the end of each round? Should it be put into a plain-text file or a SQL database? Where should this data be saved to?
  • Should the stats be on a per-server basis or be universal across all Odamex servers?

These questions primarily revolve around Odamex's philosophy of not having a central authority for servers and instead letting server administrators function independently and decide what's best for themselves. Given that outlook, Odamex servers have no ties to something like a central server that maintains user accounts or a stats database. Deciding how to implement a stats tracker server within this context may prove difficult but an interesting discussion nonetheless.
Odamex Development Team Member

Offline capodecima

• Brodamex Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 06:13:48 »
I am not sure if i am right but cant be possible make identification by IP? Also there are already logs ofc and i think its pretty easy make stats for it. (not for me tho).

Maybe on start could be stats just optional. Time show if its good or no. Also it could be for start only for duel servers, which is less hard make stats for it than for CTF.

I am big fan of stats. But how said fluff not EXP system as on ZD , i think it kill game. I think best could be only frags/deaths/frag ratio/. How said fluff winning streak could be good, not loosing streak which only make game bad and players can stop play. (yes make only positive stats, nobody want look on stats when lost 5x in row and etc.). And also time spend in game could be cool.

There could be some duel ranking system, when for beat player which is high evaluated it give players more points   than for beat player which is lower evaluated and etc. There is really a lot stats which you can make. But for start there could be just stats more above, which could be cool :).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:15:53 by capodecima »

Offline Dr. Sean

• Developer
  • G'd up from tha feet up
    • View Profile
    • Odamex - Helping middle-aged men relive their teen years
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:29:16 »
My dream would be that the Odamex server stores stats about every shot a player fires and any game events in a big database. This would include how many SSG pellets hit a target, how much damage was done, etc.

Then anyone interested in using the stats can write a small Python or Perl program to query the database and calculate the stats they want based on the data we provide. For instance, they could calculate how accurate a player's shots are overall or how many times a player got the blue armor on a map or how many times a runner killed the enemy D.

If we eventually offer some detailed stat tracking, I would prefer that the Odamex server simply track the raw data and let 3rd parties decide what meaningful stats they want to cull from the raw data. That would allow maximum flexibility for both the Odamex dev team and the admins of whatever league or tourney wanted to gather stats.
Odamex Development Team Member

Ant P.

• Nobody
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 20:17:01 »
I kind of like how Mumble does authentication: client generates a self-signed SSL certificate on first run, and it just uses plain SSL cert checking after that, the user never gets prompted for a password.

late edit: Xonotic seems to use a similar thing. Might be worth having a look at.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 23:25:03 by Ant P. »

Offline Fluffles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 12:04:40 »
What about a simpler version of this? http://www.qlranks.com/ it's an elo system, works really well especially for dueling on ql

Offline capodecima

• Brodamex Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 07:54:18 »
Anyone is working on this stuff ?