Message Boards

Topic: UAC Ultra 2 - Episode 1: Breed of Decay  (Read 10740 times)

Offline 40oz

• [n. 'faw-dee']
    • View Profile
UAC Ultra 2 - Episode 1: Breed of Decay
« on: June 06, 2013, 18:45:48 »
I'm kinda crossposting this over from Doomworld, but here is Episode 1 of 5 of UAC Ultra 2.

UAC Ultra 2 - Episode 1: Breed of Decay

The episode features all six levels of the first episode plus a bonus preview of the first level of Episode 2 - Sudden Death!

UAC Ultra 2 is a boom compatible levelset designed for Single player on all skill levels (including Nightmare!) It is also designed for Cooperative, Nightmare Coop, and Deathmatch!

I'm not sure how credible this would serve as a deathmatch wad, but I designed each level based around a basic deathmatch layout and branched out from there. The rest of the level is designed so that it blends in with the deathmatch layout seamlessly throughout the single player experience. And the layout cannot be escaped from the inside, so that the single player exclusive parts of the map cant be traversed in deathmatch (like in TNT.WAD MAP03: Power Station) So Deathmatch is a playable feature in UAC Ultra 2

I designed all the levels with wide open hallways so that players wouldn't shoot or bump into each other much by mistake in Cooperative. The detail is minimalistic to keep players from getting clipped when running fast, and there are multiple routes to the exit in each map, so that players can attack groups of monsters from different angles, or lone wolf it at their discretion.

You can play UAC Ultra 2 with extra monsters by playing multiplayer on skills 1-3. Skill 1 doubles the ammo and halves the damage dealt by monsters, but also removes all armor items, which should be good for Survival Cooperative, assuming that Odamex pursues that game mode in the future. Skill 2 and 3 are appropriate for standard Cooperative. Skill 4 does not change the number of monsters in order to preserve the gameplay of playing Nightmare mode in Cooperative. Extra monsters are isolated in teleport ambush closets instead of on the gameplay floor. When a player reaches an important key or throws an important switch, monsters begin to teleport all over the map, (not just in the location of the key or switch) so that no matter where the players are in the map, they can be involved in the fight. It's kinda similar to Skulltag/Zandronum's Invasion game mode, except not quite as scripted.

UAC Ultra 2 Episode 1 uses only Doom 1 weapons/monster/items. The later episodes (when I finish them) will make usage of Doom 2 monsters and stuff.

I'm posting this here only because I created these levels to be as dynamic as possible, with a lot of attention to multiplayer. These maps didn't go over as well to the single player community and I wanted to get some outside perspective. I'd be honored to see if a server would host these levels, and maybe change up the game modes from time to time to show how differently these levels play on deathmatch, coop, and nightmare coop. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 18:50:01 by 40oz »

Offline Pseudoscientist

• Peanut gallery
    • View Profile
Re: UAC Ultra 2 - Episode 1: Breed of Decay
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 03:26:57 »
I designed all the levels with wide open hallways so that players wouldn't shoot or bump into each other much by mistake in Cooperative. The detail is minimalistic to keep players from getting clipped when running fast,
There's one secret lift in level 2 though, I kept bumping into walls until I finally managed to catch it. Thought that may be intended, or I'm just out of practice.
You can play UAC Ultra 2 with extra monsters by playing multiplayer on skills 1-3. Skill 1 doubles the ammo and halves the damage dealt by monsters, but also removes all armor items, which should be good for Survival Cooperative, assuming that Odamex pursues that game mode in the future. Skill 2 and 3 are appropriate for standard Cooperative.
I'm not following here. Items seem to be the same in skills 1 and 2.
I'm posting this here only because I created these levels to be as dynamic as possible, with a lot of attention to multiplayer. These maps didn't go over as well to the single player community
You mean the Banworld moderators? Really, "community" is a weasel word.
and I wanted to get some outside perspective.
Since it wasn't a pack of maps hyped over there at Banworld, I didn't try to look at the architecture, but just mindlessly shot everything that moves and flipped all switches in sight. To my surprise, I enjoyed this a lot more than playing some highly hyped maps.  It's partly because difficulty at skill 3 is just right for me. I was in the middle of level 3 when my port crashed (no, it wasn't Odamex) and I decided to write this post. So, thank you for these maps!
Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!