Message Boards

Topic: New Sky 1024x240: How Do I?  (Read 8370 times)

Offline XDelusion

• View Profile
New Sky 1024x240: How Do I?
« on: July 23, 2013, 14:57:00 »
 I am trying to clean up the resource WAD for my Alien Breed Project.
 One of the mistakes I noticed that I made was to import the info from DOOM's Textures and Pnames into my pWAD.

I created a new pWAD without importing that information, and now that I have my new sky texture is not displaying correctly at all.

I have named it RSKY1 to replace the original, but when I load up the game, there is garbage in the sky and not a hint of my texture what so ever.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue? Also does Odamex have a method in DOOM in HEXEN mode in which I can transfer sky textures?

Thanks in advance.
If we lost an eye we would be sad. So the Mother too is sad, and she'll end, and the world ends... - From the Heart of the World

Offline Pseudoscientist

• Peanut gallery
    • View Profile
Re: New Sky 1024x240: How Do I?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 16:04:30 »
    I am trying to clean up the resource WAD for my Alien Breed Project.
     One of the mistakes I noticed that I made was to import the info from DOOM's Textures and Pnames into my pWAD.
    Are you using only your custom textures, or making a PWAD for ZDoom versions newer than Odamex is based on? If neither, you had made no mistake: you need to base TEXTURE1 and PNAMES in your wad on IWAD ones. (You can avoid putting in Doom textures if your IWAD on Doom2 and you put all of your new ones in TEXTURE2 but you can't avoid copying PNAMES.)
    [/list]
    I have named it RSKY1 to replace the original, but when I load up the game, there is garbage in the sky and not a hint of my texture what so ever.
    The default sky is a texture (as in, an entry in TEXTUREx) named "SKY1" (or "SKY2", "SKY3", "SKY4" depending on the map). RSKY1 is just a name of a patch that Doom2 sky texture SKY1 happens to consist of.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?
    0. decide if you want to use IWAD textures and target Odamex, and if so, get old TEXTURE1 and PNAMES from backup in you can, or make new ones based on IWAD ones. (Not necessary but you'll need to do this anyway add: as you don't use IWAD textures, you don't need this)
    1. add your sky patch(es) to PNAMES.
    2. make sure that there's no duplicate SKY1 (or other name for your sky texture) entries in TEXTUREx of your PWAD.
    3. edit (or add) a SKY1 (or else) texture, making it consist only of your sky patch.
    Also does Odamex have a method in DOOM in HEXEN mode in which I can transfer sky textures?
    Yes. See Static_Init docs on ZDoom wiki.
    « Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:02:49 by Pseudoscientist »
    Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!

Offline XDelusion

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 19:36:15 »
    Thanks for the response, I admit I don't understand how the Static_Init info in the Wiki relates to my problem, and I'm sure it's just because I'm having trouble visualizing what the words are describing, so I'll tell ya what I got going on in the mean time.

EDIT: I think I'm getting Static_init now, I think the high stress level of the day blocked my concentration earlier. Still I'd like to understand how to do this without sky transfer, just so I know. Thanks!

My project will not be using any resources from DOOM in the end. All sounds, textures, and sprites are unique from DOOM, or shall be once I've done all the dirty work.

I have created a PNAME and TEXTURE file from the graphics I have loaded into the WAD. Also this is being designed with Odamex first and foremost. If I should break compatibility with GzDOOM, ZDOOM, or what have you, then so be it. Odamex has been my target source port since the beginning of this effort.

Since I am not using any DOOM resources, I did not allow SLADE to list them within Texture1. So what appears to be happening is that RSKY1 from the DOOMII.WAD is conflicting with the one in my pWAD. I tried to rename TEXTURE1 to TEXTURE2, but that just prevents the pWAD from loading.

EDIT: When I have the DOOMII texture names present in TEXTURE1, my RSKY1 works without fault, but TEXTURE1 generates errors when saving.

Any suggestions, would you like me to upload my work?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 19:45:28 by XDelusion »
    If we lost an eye we would be sad. So the Mother too is sad, and she'll end, and the world ends... - From the Heart of the World

Offline XDelusion

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 20:42:04 »
    Dude!!!

Static_init rules!!!!!

Offline Pseudoscientist

• Peanut gallery
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 03:26:06 »
    Still I'd like to understand how to do this without sky transfer, just so I know. Thanks!
    You can use MAPINFO to assign a new sky for a map. Sky transfers are only needed if you want more than one sky in a level. For an example of MAPINFO use, see any 32in24 WAD.
    Since I am not using any DOOM resources, I did not allow SLADE to list them within Texture1. So what appears to be happening is that RSKY1 from the DOOMII.WAD is conflicting with the one in my pWAD.
    It appears you didn't understand my previous post. Can you say what part of it don't you understand?
    Any suggestions, would you like me to upload my work?
    If you haven't figured it out, then you can post a link it here I guess. I'll try to look at it.

Offline XDelusion

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 08:14:37 »
    Oh, well if we have MAPINFO support then I can probably take it from here. I guess I didn't notice that support for that had been added in.

Thanks again, I "should" be good from here on out!

Offline Pseudoscientist

• Peanut gallery
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 10:29:25 »
    Oh, well if we have MAPINFO support then I can probably take it from here. I guess I didn't notice that support for that had been added in.

Thanks again, I "should" be good from here on out!
    Don't expect ZDoom syntax (with curly braces) to work. Edit: that's why I recommended you to look at 32in24.
    « Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 13:18:19 by Pseudoscientist »

Offline XDelusion

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 19:41:59 »
    Will do Pseudoscientist, I have that WAD on my hard drive. Thank you again!

EDIT: Oh, looks like there are more than one of them! So many wads, so little time. :)
    « Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 19:44:15 by XDelusion »

Offline XDelusion

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 15:36:20 »
    Well... I thought that looking at the pWAD would make things obvious, but I am stumped.

Here is the parts of Mapinfo that refer to maps 1 and 2.

map MAP01 "Lawn Wake IX"
    titlepatch CWILV00
    next MAP02
    secretnext MAP02
    sky1 SKY1 0
    cluster 5
    music D_RUNNIN

map MAP02 "Grayscale"
    titlepatch CWILV01
    next MAP03
    secretnext MAP03
    sky1 SKY1 0
    cluster 5
    music D_STALKS

This is coming from 32in24-10.wad.
    I loaded it up in DOOM Builder and I don't notice anything that causes it to make the sky different in the maps either. So strange. According to mapinfo maps 1 and 2 share the same sky, but within the game they are different.

Offline Pseudoscientist

• Peanut gallery
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 05:28:03 »
    This is coming from 32in24-10.wad.
    I loaded it up in DOOM Builder and I don't notice anything that causes it to make the sky different in the maps either. So strange. According to mapinfo maps 1 and 2 share the same sky, but within the game they are different.
    You missed a sky transfer in MAP02.
    « Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:30:18 by Pseudoscientist »