Message Boards

Topic: [1on1] Eyedea  (Read 7192 times)

Offline AlexMax

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • AlexMax @ Github
[1on1] Eyedea
« on: August 04, 2013, 02:29:05 »
I never thought I would create a duel map worth anything.  Now...I finally think I have.  Or at least I've given it a boy scout try.

Thought up in a day and tweaked with the help of many skilled duelers.  Designed for OS settings.

There are several tricks to this map:
  • The lift on the bottom half of the map is very generous.  You can use-activate it from a reasonable distance away, and can even use-activate it turned 180 degrees from the lift.
  • The BFG lift can be lowered by shooting a switch.
  • The Green Armor is stacked.  You can get it again and again.
  • Two of the three pillars leading to the GA teleporter are shoot-to-lower.
  • There is a very purposeful placement of a west-facing silent spawn in the hallways.

Skill levels are implemented
  • 4-5: The original item layout, designed for OS duel.
  • 1-2: A layout that is a little more item-respawn friendly.  Nixes some of the health and changes the stack of GA to a single.
  • 3: FFA-friendly.  Single GA and the BFG is replaced with a plasmagun.

This map is finished.

Eyedea: eyedea.wad

Final Release: Moved the bfg-lift trigger line forward a tiny bit so you don't jump over the BFG by accident.  Also prettied up the intermission screen a bit.
Beta K: Moved the teleporter-exit spawn into the middle clearing.  Also adjusted the "silent" hallway spawn to spawn on top of the SG (doom2.exe has no weapon pickup noises), and did a few cosmetic tweaks.
Beta J: Added a couple of extra use lines to the south lift just in case you get stuck in there while it's down.  Also added an intermission pic, intermission music, and a subtle UD shout-out.
Beta I: Switched initial spawns to be at the two SSG spawns, for balance. Also made the way the GA stack disappears look nicer.
Beta H: Fixes a couple of disappearing-rocket bugs using Vanilla weapon impacts.  Also implemented skill levels.
Beta G: First widely-published release.

Currently hosted on FUNCRUSHER Duel Rotation: 50.116.50.115:10606

THANKS TO everyone who has playtested the map so far.
SPECIAL SHOUT OUTS TO those who offered solid, actionable feedback that directly resulted in improvements to the map.  Those include dew, Stall, Xen, Combinebobnt and Catastrophe.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 18:28:25 by AlexMax »

Offline Hekksy

• Doomin' since '96
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: [1on1] Eyedea
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 20:48:57 »
Good on ya Alex!
Join the Odamex Steam group! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/odamex
Check out the Odamex Discord as well: https://discord.gg/vHUu236

Offline capodecima

• Brodamex Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 07:59:02 »

what is this blue line ? otherwise this map is simple amazing

Offline AlexMax

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • AlexMax @ Github
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 11:34:39 »

what is this blue line ? otherwise this map is simple amazing

Both sides of that blue line can lower the lift by pressing "Use".  So you can lower the lift from further away than normal, or you can be turned around facing away from the lift.

I've gotten several questions about that line, but I'm not sure how I can better signal that it's actually a working switch.  Blue stands out really well against the brown/grey clay...a green line would probably be mistaken for a strip of grass and a red line would probably be less visible by blending with the surrounding brown.

Offline Doomkid

• Deathmatch Nut
    • View Profile
    • Doomkid's YT Channel
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 04:34:49 »
Not much in the way of criticisms here. Well textured, great width of corridors for duel, funny stack of Armor in the teleporter and interesting idea with the "blue line" switch. I rate this one!
Part of the Oceanian Doomers Club

Offline tw1st

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 10:34:42 »
Alright. I've reviewed this map.

The Good:
- The map is openly spaced and therefore you can't get out to the center easily for the simple enemy kill. That makes a DM Friendly environment.
- The design is pretty nice, some places to go hide, and the big open space.

And now The Bad.
- The map is pretty bland. Mostly green, dull blue, and grey.
- The BFG is too easy to get imo. You should make it higher than the rest of the map.
- The map is very flat. Yes, there is the raised ground area near the side of the map, but the rest is completely flat. I would suggest adding some elevated platforms for more skill-technique instead of just point and shoot.

Rating: 7/10.

Other then that your map is very good!! :)