Message Boards

Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 12034 times)

Offline QuiescentWonder

• View Profile
Windows Vista
« on: October 27, 2006, 14:29:08 »
Are there plans to make Odamex compatible with Windows Vista?

Offline deathz0r

• Administrator
  • kick it oldskewl
    • View Profile
    • deathz0r's Place of DOOM
Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 21:03:18 »
Does Chocolate Doom or PrBoom work on Windows Vista? If they do, there's a high chance that Odamex will.

Offline killingblair

• Odamechs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 20:31:20 »
I'm sure Microsoft won't do such a thing as fuck up every program known to man from whenever 32-bit was mainstream to 2007. *Knock on wood*

Offline Xenaero

• With images of justice, or designs of liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 07:59:15 »
I know Chocolate Doom works on Vista, not sure about PrBoom. But I would be very surprised if all previous win32 programs stopped working, which would be the case if both wouldn't work in Vista. I'd be more concerned about duo core and vista compatibility, though.
And now a picture for the frame we set aside
Below the bassline a secret place awaits for us to hide
To pass the time as the war goes on-and-on
Post-apocalyptic sunset, Post-apocalyptic dawn

Offline KitsuKun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 05:53:45 »
According to Microsoft, most developers that encounter programs should be able to simply recompile, however since when do you take Microsoft's word as fact.   Anyways, it's worth a shot, but you may run into a few more overzealous cheat kick bugs, so be forewarned.

Offline exp(x)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 15:57:45 »
Anyways, it's worth a shot, but you may run into a few more overzealous cheat kick bugs, so be forewarned.
What are you talking about? I fail to see how the bug I posted has anything to do with Vista compatibility.

Offline KitsuKun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 23:57:27 »
What are you talking about? I fail to see how the bug I posted has anything to do with Vista compatibility.
I'm saying another similar one could occure just from switching to Vista native binaries, because of the overdue modularization and "other changes" to the Microsoft libraries.     Things that were the previous monolithic dll libraries were changed into metapackage-libraries, which load a big list of dependent libraries.

Offline Manc

• Administrator
  • Fist to the face!
    • View Profile
    • odamex.net
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 08:52:16 »
I'm saying another similar one could occure just from switching to Vista native binaries, because of the overdue modularization and "other changes" to the Microsoft libraries.     Things that were the previous monolithic dll libraries were changed into metapackage-libraries, which load a big list of dependent libraries.
Again what does this have to do with the cheat kick bug?  It should compile with little to no issue straight away on vista.  Whatever you're trying to describe above isn't going to cause that sort of issue.
Odamex Web Administrator

Offline AlexMax

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • AlexMax @ Github
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 08:38:32 »
I have an RC2 ISO and a working key laying around somewhere.  I suppose I could give it a shot myself.

Offline GhostlyDeath

• Democrats will destroy this flag!
    • View Profile
    • ReMooD
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 20:55:18 »
There will be two versions of Vista (like XP), but-wise though...

XP 64 and Vista 64 (heh N64) will suport 64 bit nativly and emulate 32-bit programs...
XP 32 and Vista 32 will support 32 bit nativly and emulate 16-bit programs...

That's what MS said anyways...

I think DOS Support will be ripped in Vista... so DOOM2.EXE won't work. Any 16-bit program won't run on the 64-bit windows...

They both use WOWEXEC64 (ems. 32-bit) and WOWEXEC32 (ems. 16-bit)... Whoever gets Vista 64 should try WOWEXEC64 WOWEXEC32 a 16-bit program!!
ReMooD Project Leader - http://remood.sf.net/
Strawberry Doom Project Leader
Odamex Team Member

Offline leileilol

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 15:50:33 »
It'll work in the 64bit version.

Alot of old 32-bit games worked in XP x64 edition fine so I can't see why not unless they are really ripping out DirectX 1-7 compatibility in vista.
u

Offline Dan

• PowerPrecision Networks Admin
    • View Profile
    • PowerPrecision Networks
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 18:57:44 »
Im running a Microsoft Windows Vista Beta 2 Build (5384.4), and Odamex 0.1a runs perfect on it, just like it would on any other version of windows, but i do frame caution that the final vista build may have a few bugs. We will see when the time comes.

Offline QuiescentWonder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 02:32:35 »
There will be two versions of Vista (like XP), but-wise though...

There is actually Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate and Business (VLK Edition). All of these come in 32-bit and 64-bit editions (except Home Basic which only comes in 32-bit).

I think DOS Support will be ripped in Vista... so DOOM2.EXE won't work. Any 16-bit program won't run on the 64-bit windows...

No it wont, and DOOM2.EXE will probably work fine.

They both use WOWEXEC64 (ems. 32-bit) and WOWEXEC32 (ems. 16-bit)... Whoever gets Vista 64 should try WOWEXEC64 WOWEXEC32 a 16-bit program!!

I'll load up a 64-bit edition sometime soon and see how it DOOM2.EXE works (I've got the RTM build). I'll test out Odamex as well but it should work fine.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 02:34:11 by QuiescentWonder »

Offline Dan

• PowerPrecision Networks Admin
    • View Profile
    • PowerPrecision Networks
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 10:41:23 »
After the relase of vista, i bought a copy. Got the lastest odamex, and works just like anyother os.

Offline AlexMax

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • AlexMax @ Github
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 01:51:13 »
After the relase of vista, i bought a copy. Got the lastest odamex, and works just like anyother os.

Does your configuration save correctly as a limited user?