Message Boards

Topic: Mac OS X support  (Read 15281 times)

Insomniak

• Nobody
Mac OS X support
« on: November 08, 2006, 05:21:47 »
This is probably the only reason I joined to Odamex forum.

So far the only half decent port for OS X is Doomsday, but we all know the problems associated with it.  Legacy is a joke.

I crave a smooth-running, glitch free port with full mouselook, multiplayer that doesn't crash when somebody decides to join your server, and possible Hexen support.

Discuss.

Offline AlexMax

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • AlexMax @ Github
Re: Mac OS X support
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 06:49:58 »
Our lead coder, denis, uses a Mac as his primary development machine, so I think it's a safe bet that Mac support, and indeed running on multiple platforms in general, is pretty much a given.

Hexen support is out as of right now, due to the fact that Raven's licence is not GPL compatable.  Mouselook works, though.

Offline Manc

• Administrator
  • Fist to the face!
    • View Profile
    • odamex.net
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 09:18:23 »
Yes as alex said it is developed natively on OS X so absolutely client/server/master and probably the new launcher function on it.  However this is a multiplayer DOOM port, not a ZDoom port, so there is no heretic or hexen or a number of the other fancy things that come with it.  Glitch free is a bit unreasonable given that these are hobby projects.  There is no guarantee there won't be "glitches".

P.S. what the devil is that huge signature?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 09:25:06 by Manc »
Odamex Web Administrator

Offline deathz0r

• Administrator
  • kick it oldskewl
    • View Profile
    • deathz0r's Place of DOOM
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 15:02:05 »
P.S. what the devil is that huge signature?
A somewhat oversized last.fm signature. Looks like it was resized by SMF.

Offline Manc

• Administrator
  • Fist to the face!
    • View Profile
    • odamex.net
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 18:22:29 »
A somewhat oversized last.fm signature. Looks like it was resized by SMF.
Interestingly enough, it didn't look like that this morning.  It used to be properly sized.  The problem is it stores the image dimensions in the img tag, so if the image changes size, it won't update the dimensions.  No matter, I'll be removing images-in-sigs support tonight.
Odamex Web Administrator

Offline KitsuKun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 00:04:28 »
This is probably the only reason I joined to Odamex forum.

So far the only half decent port for OS X is Doomsday, but we all know the problems associated with it.  Legacy is a joke.

I crave a smooth-running, glitch free port with full mouselook, multiplayer that doesn't crash when somebody decides to join your server, and possible Hexen support.

Discuss.
As the above mentioned of Manc is notable. 

Additionally, several developers primarily use Linux, and anything that runs on Linux.  This is becoming more and more true as the various C/C++ to Objective C bridges become better in each generation of Mac OS X.   I'm not sure how far allong this is now, but the portability is quite easy at this point for almost any game, from what I have heard.

Offline deathz0r

• Administrator
  • kick it oldskewl
    • View Profile
    • deathz0r's Place of DOOM
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 15:05:49 »
I'm not sure how far allong this is now, but the portability is quite easy at this point for almost any game, from what I have heard.
http://odamex.net/wiki/Target_platforms

Quite a useful page, I say.

Offline Zorro

• Professional n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 10:13:28 »
And I'm here with my large slimy trout to make sure the thing runs on linux :P
^^ this post has wasted part of your life ^_^

Offline exp(x)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 22:59:08 »
And I'm here with my large slimy trout to make sure the thing runs on linux :P
It sure as hell runs on linux.

Offline Barcode

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 16:49:57 »
Well, I can't even get this game to RUN on the Mac. Anyone mind helping?
No errors, not even a window. Just double click the application and nothing happens. I can't drag Doom2.wad into the goddamn game.
On top of that, where hte hell do I download the OS X launcher? It didn't come with the package.

Offline Manc

• Administrator
  • Fist to the face!
    • View Profile
    • odamex.net
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 09:28:48 »
Well, I can't even get this game to RUN on the Mac. Anyone mind helping?
No errors, not even a window. Just double click the application and nothing happens. I can't drag Doom2.wad into the goddamn game.
On top of that, where hte hell do I download the OS X launcher? It didn't come with the package.
You're going to have to provide more information about your computer before you'll get help.  Are you on PPC or x86?  The launcher should have been included in the package, are you sure it isn't in there?
Odamex Web Administrator

Offline Voxel

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Voxelsoft
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 11:57:46 »
Just double click the application and nothing happens.

Double-click which application?

I can't drag Doom2.wad into the goddamn game.

You should copy Doom2.wad into the game's directory. Dragging works for me.

I can't help you if you are vague and unspecific. Upload screenshots to demonstrate, if it helps.

Did you install SDL and SDL_mixer?
http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.11.dmg
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/release/SDL_mixer-1.2.7.dmg

Offline Barcode

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 14:47:43 »
PPC.
There's something called 'odalaunch', which, when double-clicked, does not function. Sorry...that IS the Launcher. <:$
Okay, so let me recap the problem: It installs, but the Launcher doesn't start. It does that fade-out thing on the icon like every other application's icon in Mac OS X, but nothing appears. No indication that anything actually opened is given, and nothing opens. Nothing appears ANYWHERE.
I'm sorry for being rude before: I typed most of the stuff I did on this forum in between Gears of War respawns/failed PGR 3 races. You may or may not know how aggravated you can get from this.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 14:43:32 by Barcode »

Offline Voxel

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Voxelsoft
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 05:19:12 »
That's probably because you don't have wxWidgets 2.8.1+ installed. I am looking at how to integrate these packages into our installer.

You can play without the launcher by copy-pasting (ctrl-c, ctrl-v) addresses into the client (e.g. "connect 123.123.123.123:1234") from our server list.

Offline Barcode

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 14:57:49 »
Is there any other way? It's asking me to get their developer tools, THEN go into unix and try to install it. I'm afraid of screwing something up, as I have no experience in Unix.
*sigh* I guess it's back to Nexuiz until then, I guess. I'll keep a tabo n this site, though. Thanks for clearing things up.