Message Boards

Topic: Database Woes  (Read 13612 times)

Offline Manc

• Administrator
  • Fist to the face!
    • View Profile
    • odamex.net
Database Woes
« on: November 10, 2006, 08:17:02 »
So yeah you probably came here earlier and noticed strangeness with accessing most features.  There's still some funky mysql server stuff going on that I THOUGHT I curbed but it's not really doing much better than before.  The process to fix it is going to be a bit daunting as I personally don't care for messing around with the server software, but I guess I have little choice.  I hope maybe some time this weekend will come my way.
Odamex Web Administrator

Offline RazTK

• View Profile
Re: Database Woes
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 09:06:10 »
Thanks for fixing it Manc!
Good job.

Offline KitsuKun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 09:08:36 »
Quicker than any of us, that's why your in charge.

Offline Slayer

• Time to start piling up the bodies!
    • View Profile
    • DUI
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 11:22:05 »
mysql gets me too sometimes, I use php-nuke so the problems are similar. Was it the php or the bugzilla module you guys use so heavily?

Offline Manc

• Administrator
  • Fist to the face!
    • View Profile
    • odamex.net
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 11:31:14 »
mysql gets me too sometimes, I use php-nuke so the problems are similar. Was it the php or the bugzilla module you guys use so heavily?
While it might be php related in some fashion MAYBE, what happens is the innodb indexes go foobar and it tries to restart itself.  Ususally if you attempt to visit the site and there's a bit of a delay that's due to the mysql server restarting.  When it can't restart itself, it goes boom.
Odamex Web Administrator

Offline AlexMax

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • AlexMax @ Github
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 12:17:13 »
did someone say something about the site being down?

Offline KitsuKun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 14:48:20 »
While it might be php related in some fashion MAYBE, what happens is the innodb indexes go foobar and it tries to restart itself.  Ususally if you attempt to visit the site and there's a bit of a delay that's due to the mysql server restarting.  When it can't restart itself, it goes boom.

Yeah, PHP/MySQL will do that sometimes. 

Do as follows for your next scheduled maintanance:

Check that you have the latest versions, and then make a local mirror on your LAN.

Make a re-installed mirror on the same LAN,

transfer the information after checking for any "nastys" ranging from errors to malconfigurations to trojens and worms,

than mirror an image of that overhauled system back up to your main server on your next scheduled maintainance.

Much better than the simple "live patch" solution everyone recomends, as you only have to shutdown long enough to switch the active image from the old one to the new one, which is a quick reboot of the virtual server or real server, whichever you currently use.

Offline Manc

• Administrator
  • Fist to the face!
    • View Profile
    • odamex.net
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 20:26:13 »
While I appreciate your rather direct "advice", I have my own plan of attack.  I have a script that backs up the databases, then I'll just pull mysql down and put up a new version from source.  I don't have a LAN setup currently and quite frankly something like that is a bit more complicated than what the actual situation calls for.  I do regular backups of everything that's important.

I would however appreciate in the future if you didn't simply tell me what I should do.  If you want to offer your own brand of advice, I won't stop you (unless it goes against the rules), but know that I'm not just going to do what you say because you tell me to.

EDIT: Also, live patch?  I'm not sure what you mean by that...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 20:33:35 by Manc »
Odamex Web Administrator

Offline Xenaero

• With images of justice, or designs of liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 07:45:56 »
At least you caught it before it turned into a huge problem! Go Mancse!
And now a picture for the frame we set aside
Below the bassline a secret place awaits for us to hide
To pass the time as the war goes on-and-on
Post-apocalyptic sunset, Post-apocalyptic dawn

Offline KitsuKun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 02:23:31 »
I would however appreciate in the future if you didn't simply tell me what I should do.  If you want to offer your own brand of advice, I won't stop you (unless it goes against the rules), but know that I'm not just going to do what you say because you tell me to.

EDIT: Also, live patch?  I'm not sure what you mean by that...
Oh, I don't expect you to take my feedback as raw advice, just listen to it.  I look at things from a much different angle.  It sometimes can be useful to get my perspective, as often you need to combine both for a complete solution.

BTW, you are taking my advice like a textbook, a test lan can be a couple of old computers, or even a few VMs on your main desktop. 

Be interpretive with advice. Stuborness is an inevitable human trait that every person here has including myself and we each also have our own viewpoint.  However, if each one of us uses 1% of the logic possible to be gained from reading each other person's viewpoint, we all would become far better at everything.

When I give what you call advice, it may be phrased as such, but it is more a proposed theory, than advice.  Maybe it's a little old-school to think that way, but sometime's it helps to compair theoretical notes.  Maybe I need to scale back a bit on the frequency of reporting such notes, and we can meet somewhere in the middle.

Offline Voxel

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Voxelsoft
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 16:54:16 »
Manc, good job.

Offline user`ok

• Center of American English
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 08:28:43 »