Message Boards

Topic: Compiling Help  (Read 16751 times)

Offline Qwerty_

• View Profile
    • The1Qwerty
Compiling Help
« on: January 25, 2007, 05:27:00 »
Hello I just downloaded Odamex for linux but I am having trouble compiling it.

This is what I have done.

mike@mike-desktop:~/Desktop/Odamex$ make client
g++ -DUNIX -DLINUX -DNOASM -Icommon -g -Wall -O2 -I../client/sdl -Iclient/sdl -I../client/src -Iclient/src -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -c client/src/../sdl/i_music.cpp -o obj/client/src/../sdl/i_music.o
client/src/../sdl/i_music.cpp:36:23: error: SDL_mixer.h: No such file or directory
client/src/../sdl/i_music.cpp:47: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 07:42:35 by Qwerty_ »

Offline Qwerty_

• View Profile
    • The1Qwerty
Re: Compiling Help
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 05:27:43 »
Umm I dont know what happened but it looks like my post got chopped off or something?

EDIT: I tried to edit the main post to paste in the rest but it keeps getting chopped off is there a char limit or something? I have attached an image of the error. The command I used was make client
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 07:47:46 by Qwerty_ »

Offline ufon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 08:08:25 »
so have you installed all SDL libraries required ? the easiest way of making sure you've got them all is by installing PRBOOM from the package manager and then compiling odamex - i know very little about this stuff but this is what i have done(been told to do) and it worked
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 08:09:59 by ufon »

Offline AlexMax

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • AlexMax @ Github
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 11:10:49 »
Umm I dont know what happened but it looks like my post got chopped off or something?

It's a bug in SMF.  I ran into similar problems before.  If you're running into problems, check where the post cut off, because there is probably something there that SMF is choking on.  For me, changing my double spaces to single spaces fixed my problems, but ymmv.

From the looks of your error message, you don't have the development libraries for SDL_mixer installed.  What distro of Linux are you running?

Offline Qwerty_

• View Profile
    • The1Qwerty
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 18:25:15 »
I have installed the SDL_mixer libraries which is why im a litle bit confused as to why it is calling for them.

I am using Linux Mint which is Ubuntu Edgy.

Ill go and try installing PRBOOM right now.

EDIT: Ok I downloaded prdoom and i got the same problem I have when I try to install, SO i think its my OS atm Ive been messing with to much stuff lately so I think I will have to reformat it and start from scratch.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 22:01:48 by Qwerty_ »

Offline Necromage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 20:53:00 »
I am using Fedora Core 6 and I got the same error.

Offline Voxel

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Voxelsoft
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 09:05:56 »
From the looks of your error message, you don't have the development libraries for SDL_mixer installed.

That could explain it. Good idea to check if you actually have the header.

find /usr/include -type f -iname "*mixer.h"

Offline Necromage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 12:49:12 »
I typed that and I got this: /usr/include/alsa/mixer.h So it appears that I have it.

Offline RazTK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 15:09:30 »
From what I understand, it looks for SDL_mixer.h and not mixer.h.

Offline Qwerty_

• View Profile
    • The1Qwerty
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 00:51:43 »
Code: [Select]
mike@mike-desktop:~$ find /usr/include -type f -iname "*mixer.h"
/usr/include/SDL/SDL_mixer.h

Yep ive got the SDL_mixer as well so this is very odd and could be a problem across the *nix board.

Offline Qwerty_

• View Profile
    • The1Qwerty
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 02:39:20 »
Determined not to give up I have reformatted my linux and gone back to Ubuntu 6.06. Installed all the SDL stuff execpt for one file that had a error but when i sdl-confi --version i get  1.2.11 so i presume it must of installed.

The Errors can be found in the attached image. Where the terminal is cut off is more errors that I believe to be related to the Xlib problem

Offline Qwerty_

• View Profile
    • The1Qwerty
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 06:46:02 »
I guess that no one is able to solve help me solve my problems.

Offline Barcode

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 13:53:14 »
People just don't seem to visit here often enough, that's all. I'm sure somebody will respond soon enough.

Offline Manc

• Administrator
  • Fist to the face!
    • View Profile
    • odamex.net
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 15:13:35 »
To be fair, your problem isn't with Odamex itself, as just about everyone else is able to compile it on their respective platforms just fine, especially linux variants.  Your problem is more at the base of things like ensuring libs are set up right and such.  This is a bit trickier of a proposition as it requires someone who uses ubuntu, visits here enough to notice and would have an answer to your problem.

Have you tried visiting ubuntu boards or sdl boards or any other sources?
Odamex Web Administrator

Offline Qwerty_

• View Profile
    • The1Qwerty
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 03:22:13 »
No not yet Ill go and see if I can some kind of assistance from the Ubuntuforums.