Message Boards

Poll

Would you like to see the scoreboard change?, and why? some examples?

Yes
8 (47.1%)
No
9 (52.9%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Topic: New Scoreboards  (Read 18150 times)

Offline Dan

• PowerPrecision Networks Admin
    • View Profile
    • PowerPrecision Networks
New Scoreboards
« on: January 25, 2007, 19:58:05 »
Ive seen the original scoreboard code written by toke, and which isn't half bad, but some visual errors come from it, with the small font, and all.

I would like to rewrite/modify this scoreboard to make the scoreboard a bit more sexy :) I would just like to ask the Odamex community first for their shot at this issue.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 20:01:34 by Dan »

Offline deathz0r

• Administrator
  • kick it oldskewl
    • View Profile
    • deathz0r's Place of DOOM
Re: New Scoreboards
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 20:02:56 »
I was originally going to do it, but by all means, go for it. You'll do a better job at optimizing the code than I probably could.

Offline RazTK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 20:34:55 »
The scoreboard looks fine IMO, but if deathz0r was about to change it anyway, go ahead then, it'd be nice to see something new and fresh. :>

Offline QuiescentWonder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 20:49:48 »
It's not like the look of the scoreboard is going to change the gameplay itself. Why not just change the font to something a bit more readable regardless of whether it looks Doomesque or not?

Offline Ralphis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 23:46:12 »
I personally like the scoreboard, but the beauty of open source is that you can make something and present it to us

Offline user`ok

• Center of American English
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 00:10:00 »
haha, looks like i'm only one who voted "no"
i personally like the font it uses and the placement at all.

Offline Manc

• Administrator
  • Fist to the face!
    • View Profile
    • odamex.net
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 16:34:08 »
It's not like the look of the scoreboard is going to change the gameplay itself. Why not just change the font to something a bit more readable regardless of whether it looks Doomesque or not?
Whether you agree or not, it's best to keep as much of a doomish feel as possible.  Toke did a pretty damn good job of making a scoreboard and having it work with existing resources.  While i'm sure there's room for code optimization, I would be hard pressed to want to change the overall look unless what was presented was significantly better, which would be hard imo.
Odamex Web Administrator

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 09:56:41 »
I see that this topic is mostly equal on both sides, and thanks on the input, so how about instead of just changing the basic scoreboard from this toward that, and fighting over what players like what. That we make the choice up toward the player. Making the scoreboard customizable within the options menu. "Show Ping", "Show Ping Font", "Show Ping Color" ect. Or another solution is make a system were multiple different scoreboards can be chozen to suit the player's taste. Therefore keeping Toke's Scoreboards and opening a selection of tastes for the Odamex Community.

Offline Manc

• Administrator
  • Fist to the face!
    • View Profile
    • odamex.net
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 15:19:43 »
Too much option and customization can cause problems.  With something like the scoreboard it would be best to first reach a consensus on how it looks.  Besides, you'd still have to plan around "worst case" anyway, like having all options shown.  So you design around that, then if there's room for making columns optional then maybe it could happen. 
Odamex Web Administrator

Offline Zorro

• Professional n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 20:29:17 »
One thing I dislike about the current scoreboard code is that the CTF scoreboard looks completely different from the Deathmatch scoreboard.

When codding the teamplay scoreboard, try to do it in such a way where teams fill in slots, and when a team is not enabled, it does not show up in the scoreboard.

Have fun :)
^^ this post has wasted part of your life ^_^

Offline HumanBones

• Global Moderator
  • Living Orgasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 17:33:00 »
As much as I like the scoreboard now, I would like to see a few more options.

Offline cSc

• Boom?
    • View Profile
    • CS-Net
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 17:51:59 »
The current scoreboards are fine imo.
If you can't stand the truth, get your ass back on the sofa.

Offline Zorro

• Professional n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 18:28:19 »
it still needs work for spectating and multiple teams.  If, someday, the white and green teams are also added (for compatibility reasons), it would be nice to have flexable scoreboard code already existing also.
^^ this post has wasted part of your life ^_^

Offline Quex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 07:41:36 »
I found the current scoreboard fine to understand. Even though it isnt the best looking scoreboard, it does the job well.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 21:01:15 »
Toke did do a really good job with the code and the dim trick with the scoreboard, but im not talking about, "Lets change it like zdaemon, and screw everybody else's views." Im wanting to keep the scoreboard as customizable as possible, for the person behind the odamex engine.

Ive pretty much got the views now, so im working on a few ideas right now on my little spare time i have.

Thanks