Odamex is a free and open source port for the classic first-person-shooter Doom. Odamex's goal is to emulate the feel of and retain many aspects of the original Doom executables while offering a broader expanse of security features, personal configuration, gameplay options, and editing features. Odamex can run on a wide range of operating systems and hardware, so players should be able to play on almost any platform.
Odamex and Standard Doom
These are the features that what makes Odamex the multiplayer Doom port that is the closest to the original Doom:
- Out-of-the-box Standard Doom key bindings and settings for client and server
- Doom2.exe gameplay-related nuances have been reimplemented as standard
- Nuanced mouse code that replicates the precise feel of using the mouse in doom2.exe
- Demo playback support (recording coming soon) for both Doom LMP demos and a new, Odamex-specific demo format (LMP compatibility with doom2.exe is provided)
- Functional Deathmatch and Cooperative game modes, single player is also supported.
Odamex and Enhanced Doom
New additions Odamex brings to the Doom battleground:
- Client and Server environment with in-game joining.
- Incredibly smooth backwards reconciliation netcode that can be adjusted.
- Theoretical support for up to 255 players.
- The ZDoom 1.22 core engine, as well as the ZDoom 1.23 beta33 ACS interpretor.
- The ability to toggle the ZDoom 1.23 physics engine, as well as the ability to toggle various ZDoom settings that have become standard over the years.
- A new HUD and scoreboard with info better suited for a multiplayer environment.
- New Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag game modes.
- An announcer for Capture the Flag.
- Automatic downloading and verification of WAD files from the server.
- Map cycling support.
- On-the-fly WAD loading:
- When combined with map cycling, you can create a map AND wad rotation server!
- Wads can be loaded in single player mode too, no need to restart the client.
- RCON (Remote Console) Support.
- Cheating and exploitation redundancy, no longer do you have to put up with cheaters!
- Additional higher-resolution video modes. In addition, a possible "accelerated" renderer is in the works, using OpenGL to deliver an experience identical to the original software renderer.
- System Independence, meaning it can run on:
- Windows 95, 98, ME(?), NT(?), 2K, XP, Vista
- Linux (x86, ppc, amd64)
- Sun Solaris
- Possibly more...if it can run SDL it might run Odamex!
- Game launcher includes most standard features found in other launchers, plus more:
- Sorting capabilities.
- Filtering capabilities (future addition)
- C++ oriented design with fully cross-platform capabilities, utilizing the wxWidgets API.
Whats in it for map authors?
- Patch support includes (loaded from command line or DEHACKED lump)
- DEHACKED (DEH)
- Boom EXtensions (BEX)
- BOOM map format support.
- ODAMEX supports multiple music and sound formats, for example:
- MOD XM S3M 669 IT MED and more (using included mikmod)
- MIDI (using timidity or native midi hardware)
- OggVorbis (requiring ogg/vorbis libraries on system)
- MP3 (requiring SMPEG library on system)
- Basically any music format that SDL_mixer supports!
Odamex and developers
Developers also benefit from Odamex:
- Full source code available, based on the GNU GPLv2 license.
- Source code compiles on multiple hardware/software combinations including native 64-bit
- Project and workspace files for the IDE Code::Blocks, Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 as well as the standard GNU Makefiles.
- Compiles with GCC as well as Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
Got a few questions? Take a look at the FAQ
All of the following games are supported: