Message Boards

Topic: What does odamex do that skulltag or zdeamon can't?  (Read 9576 times)

Offline (sniper) 109

• View Profile
What does odamex do that skulltag or zdeamon can't?
« on: August 05, 2008, 15:39:25 »
I'm not trying to be a snop or anything but why should I play odamex over skulltag or zdeamon.is there anything special?

Offline GhostlyDeath

• Democrats will destroy this flag!
    • View Profile
    • ReMooD
Re: What does odamex do that skulltag or zdeamon can't?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 19:13:46 »
Freedom would be one thing.
 - Noone on the team will stop you from playing online [vs. ZDaemon and Skulltag].
 - There is no global ban list, each server has its own banlist (server chains may share a banlist though) so if you are banned from servers, it's your job to deal with their administrators, the team does not have a ban list that has to be followed by server owners [vs. ZDaemon].
 - You can modify it freely (source code wise) [vs. ZDaemon and Skulltag].
 - You can look at the source code [vs. ZDaemon and Skulltag].
 - You can host your own personal master server [vs. ZDaemon (but not Skulltag since I created my own Master Server for it)].
 - You can do whatever you want with your server, you could ban all cheaters you could allow only cheaters. [vs. mostly ZDaemon and partly Skulltag]

We are also open to opinions you may have also.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 20:59:41 by GhostlyDeath »
ReMooD Project Leader - http://remood.sf.net/
Strawberry Doom Project Leader
Odamex Team Member

Offline Voxel

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Voxelsoft
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 19:33:28 »
We have made all our information available on our boards, wiki, changelog, bugtracker and source code repository.

These wiki pages might be helpful:
http://odamex.net/wiki/Odamex
http://odamex.net/wiki/Releases

One of the main reason players tend to prefer Odamex compared to the ports you mentioned is that it allows smooth internet gaming while preserving original DOOM gameplay and physics. For example, Odamex supports playback of vanilla demos.

What you want to play is entirely up to you :)

Offline Ralphis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 19:41:35 »
A few other features that Odamex offers over the other engines include, but are definitely not limited to, downloading wads directly from the server, on-the-fly Wad changing (so a server can run two wads back to back and your client will change the wad instead of you having to switch servers), and theoretical support for up to 255 players in one server.

And these are just some of the things Odamex does NOW at point 0.4.1. New experience enhancing features are added to Odamex regularly while preserving the essence of the original game.

Odamex looks to shape and enhance the experience AROUND Doom to make it more enjoyable to the player rather than to change the unique core gameplay that Doom presents a player with.

Ant P.

• Nobody
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 19:48:04 »
Odamex works on Linux without having to follow condescending instructions for installing wine and then being subjected to gameplay-ruining bugs. That alone sets it above the others, I think.