How to build from source
Odamex is open source. This means that it is possible to obtain and compile Odamex from source if you so desire. The Odamex team wishes to make this process as painless as possible, therefore detailed instructions for how to build Odamex are provided in this section.
Step 1: Getting the source
There are two ways to obtain the source to Odamex:
- Download the latest stable version from the official Odamex website
- Get the absolute latest modifications through anonymous Subversion access
Step 2: Getting required files
When you download Odamex, it's almost ready to go, right out of the box. However, you need something to compile it with. In addition, Odamex relies on extra libraries in order to function.
Step 3: Compiling Odamex
You have all the pieces of the puzzle...now it's time to build.
- Compiling using GCC on GNU/Linux, FreeBSD and Cygwin
- Compiling using MSYS on Windows
- Compiling using Code::Blocks on Windows and Linux
- Compiling using Microsoft Visual Studio on Windows
- Compiling using Xcode on Mac
Step 4: Compiling the Launcher
So you want to mess around with the Launcher? Here's how to do it.
- Compiling the Launcher using Code::Blocks on Windows
Step 5: Building odamex.wad
This will show you how to build the latest odamex.wad file
- Building odamex.wad using DeuTex on multiple platforms
Note: odamex.wad gets built automatically when using the Makefile